Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Wide is the nut on your 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I got an e-mail question about the width of the nut on my BBG5s, and I almost shot back a reply saying it was a standard 1-3/4 inch nut. I decided to go ahead and measure just to be sure.

I found it was 1-7/16 wide at the string center, and 1-11/16 wide at the nut. It's narrower than I thought it would be, considering the width at the bridge is a hearty 3 inches.

So I guess comfort for me is a narrowish nut and wide spacing at the bridge.

So how about it guys? Lets measure those nuts!
    :D

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife's Lakland D55-01 is 1 3/4" at the nut. My Zon is at church, I will have to try to remember to measure it Wednesday night.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I won't get a fiver with a nut less than 1-7/8" wide. Fivers currently owned: Fender RB5, Modulus Quantum 5, Warwick Streamer Stage I 5, MTD 535, Lull P5. Actually the Lull is a smidge thinner, probably because of the rolled fingerboard edges, but only by a millimeter.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Mark, thanks for those measurements ;)

My basses:

MTD Kingston 1 3/4" Great!
    Ibanez BTB405 1 7/8" Still trying to adjust
    Dearmond Pilot Pro 2" For Sale

All the basses I've tried that I remember feeling comfortable, I now realize had 1 3/4" nut widths.

By my choices you can also see that I favor 19mm bridge spacing. What i didn't realize was that I am more sensitive to nut width than bridge width.

K