How Wide is the nut on your 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I got an e-mail question about the width of the nut on my BBG5s, and I almost shot back a reply saying it was a standard 1-3/4 inch nut. I decided to go ahead and measure just to be sure.

I found it was 1-7/16 wide at the string center, and 1-11/16 wide at the nut. It's narrower than I thought it would be, considering the width at the bridge is a hearty 3 inches.

So I guess comfort for me is a narrowish nut and wide spacing at the bridge.

So how about it guys? Lets measure those nuts!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife's Lakland D55-01 is 1 3/4" at the nut. My Zon is at church, I will have to try to remember to measure it Wednesday night.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I won't get a fiver with a nut less than 1-7/8" wide. Fivers currently owned: Fender RB5, Modulus Quantum 5, Warwick Streamer Stage I 5, MTD 535, Lull P5. Actually the Lull is a smidge thinner, probably because of the rolled fingerboard edges, but only by a millimeter.
  4. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Mark, thanks for those measurements ;)

My basses:

MTD Kingston 1 3/4" Great!
    Ibanez BTB405 1 7/8" Still trying to adjust
    Dearmond Pilot Pro 2" For Sale

All the basses I've tried that I remember feeling comfortable, I now realize had 1 3/4" nut widths.

By my choices you can also see that I favor 19mm bridge spacing. What i didn't realize was that I am more sensitive to nut width than bridge width.