1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How will my GK amp tell me I'm pushing it too hard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MBIYF, May 7, 2006.

1. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Heya bassers!

I've a dilemma I could use some help with. I play in a somewhat loud band with a separate pre + poweramp setup. My cabinet is a SWR Goliath SR. (6x10", 1000 watts @ 4 ohm). No problem so far. :)

Now, I bought a Gallien Krueger 400RB-III a few weeks ago. I got it for jam sessions and small projects. I took it to band practice for fun and to try it out on a cab for the first time. Guess what: the setup turned out sounding really good... and it was A LOT louder than I expected it would be. We're talking about 240 watts here. I usually need to push my 1200 watt poweramp (Crest ca6) quite hard, but this little beast delivered without a problem. Way to go Gallien Krueger!!

I've learned that GK amps are so loud because they can handle the transients with their high current capacity. With my hard Steve Harris style attack I'm all about transients. I've also learned that GK amps don't have limiters.

I'm wondering if I'm pushing this little amp to it's limits or not. Is there any way it can tell me I'm damaging it? I think I'm still in the safe zone as I don't hear distortion. Just some grit from the Boost circuitry. Will the power/protect LED change colour if it's really overdriving? I am using a 1000 watt cabinet here, mind you…

I'd like to know this as this 15 lbs cutey is much easier to handle than the 80 lbs rack. If I'm safe the Crest will need to find a new boss. :D

FYI: I use the -10dB pad (hard attack and a hot bass), then input volume, boost and master are all set at 12 o clock. I don’t have dramatic EQ settings.

Cheers from The Netherlands,

MBIYF

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    These have protection circuits, so if anything goes really wrong, iy should kick in. As long as you don't hear distortion, you SHOULD be fine.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you push it too hard, it will fall off your speaker ;)

You probably don't need to worry about damaging it. Brief transients, even a lot of them, are pretty harmless to a bass amp. I think that if you don't hear a lot of distortion during the decay of the note, you are fine.

The GK heads seem to employ some soft clipping, which probably lets you run closer to the hard clipping limit of the power amp wtihout degrading the sound -- like the behavior that is cited for why tube amps seem louder.

4. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Thanks guys! It doesn't look good for my Crest at the moment. :)

I was wondering something else. For the first time I actually seen the cabs drivers moving with the GK. Is that the volume causing that or the lack of headroom? Less headroom means less controle over the speakers, right?

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    These heads have amazing amounts of power avaliable. 240 watts never sounded so loud. I'd stack mine up against an SVT 3Pro or an SWR SM-400 any day of the week.

6. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Bump. :hyper: