How will my hofner age

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dezisapunk, Dec 17, 2020.

1. dezisapunk

dezisapunk

Oct 8, 2019
    Hey y’all,
    I cant find anything online about what kind of paint hofners use, because I was wondering how/if my hofner would age
    Then i got to thinking, I dont think ive ever seen an aged hofner.
    My hofner is an HCT500/1 Gold Top, can anyone tell me how my hofner (generally, i know it depends on a lot of variables) will age, if at all?

FranF likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Speaking directly out of my ass, aren’t all basses either polyurethane or nitrocellulose? Nitro ages and gets checking, or whatever it’s called, and poly doesn’t really and only ever chips and scratches? So again, right out of my rectum, I’m pretty sure it’ll look like it looks now for the foreseeable future.

3. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    You don't get checking in California, no high humidity, not really cold.

4. 20191003_084753 (2).jpg 20191003_084804 (2).jpg 20191003_084903 (2).jpg 20191003_084924 (2).jpg 20191003_085002 (2).jpg
    Here you go my May '64 500/1 aged the old fashioned way :thumbsup:.

5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Lol. Where you from? It gets balls cold here in the winter and suffocatingly hot in the summer where I’m from.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It will age tastefully and gracefully, from the few really old Hofners ive handled. I dont know if they still use real celluloid for the plastic parts, that can sometimes go wonky, either it shrinks and cracks, or kind of dissolves and gets sticky. Lovely basses, i intend to own one eventually, hopefully have one long enough to find out how it ages in my hands.

7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Your CT is poly, and likely won't age appreciably.

8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Urologic terminology on TalkBass sphincters a new low.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021