How will we be selling our music at shows in the future?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I don't think anyone would disagree that CDs are on their way out. At a show the other night I bought a couple of discs for the first time in I can't remember how long and realized the only devise with a CD drive I have anymore is in my fifteen year old car. None of the devises I use for music now have them. My last year's Macbook doesn't and neither do my phone or tablet. Even though it's dying tech are they still the best way to cash in on the impulse buy after you've just blown the doors off the joint? What are we gonna use when CD's finally go the way of the 8-track? Thumb drives are all I can think of. How do you think that would work? How would you package one...or would you package it? What other alternatives are there to put your music in someone's hands at the show?

Joe Louvar likes this.
  2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I saw a bass player at an instore appearance and he was phenomenal.
    He sold his music by download cards--you paid the money and got a card with a download code on it--you went online and downloaded it int he format you preferred.

SunnBass likes this.
  3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    We do vinyl and download codes.
    The records come with a download code or the codes can be purchased individually.
    We also have free buttons, that are attached to a business card with our bandcamp address on them.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    How's the vinyl doing for you? This has been a point of hot debate for a band I've been with a couple of years. I've been resisting it but I'm starting to think more people than I suspected actually want that format.

5. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Well, we're kind of in that generation/movement that never did let go of vinyl.
    It's always been available "in the underground" as there are tons of labels that have never stopped releasing on it; Dischord Records, Merge, Touch and Go, Temporary Residence, BLVD, Drag City...the list goes on.
    Our friends, fans, and target audience have always been into vinyl.
    So, it works very well.
    It's such a fun media to design, sell, buy and listen to.

6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I guess you could purchase Thumb drives with the band logo for $5 but you would have to figure that extra cost into your price.

7. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Depends on the likelihood of you actually selling songs at a show. Thumb drives seem too high risk(cost) to me. CD's are becoming obsolete, some cars do not even have them any more.

I think the business card/download code idea is best.

8. Wow, great question and honestly I have no idea, but IMHO its not looking really good.

Cheers

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    This seems the best way with more people only using concerts as an opportunity to update their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts and to take "selfies" anything they can do with their phones will make money.

SunnBass likes this.
  10. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    It's necessary to work those social media.
    With them all linked up however, it's very simple really.
    Our Facebook updates automatically post to Twitter and Tumblr.
    Facebook and Reverbnation (yuck, it's an awful place) are linked.
    And they all lead to our Bandcamp, which is where the money goes.

11. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    livedownloads.com

12. I've noticed a lot of different methods people have used for distributing/selling their music.

Hip-hop has embraced the mixtape pretty hardcore, that is: releases available online through websites like DatPiff or LiveMixtapes for free! If you've been wondering why there haven't been any good hip-hop albums lately, the answer is probably because 90% of the best hip-hop is coming out on mixtapes.

A lot of artist have also been doing selling their stuff on places like bandcamp & soundcloud for free or donation or a sliding scale.

Some record labels and bands have been trying to milk the collector market to make their scratch: releasing super limited edition releases, sometimes for a significant markup. This has been the M.O. for a lot of stuff on Jack White's Third Man Records and Youth Attack!

And for touring bands, it's pretty much all about the download codes. Cassette tapes have made a semi-comeback because they're cheaper and easier to do than vinyl. The band slips a download code into the sleeve and maybe decorates it or personalizes them in some way. The tapes don't really get played, they're more of a souvenir. An artifact or symbol of your support for the band.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There will be a pill that the person takes, and then the music just plays in their heads. They will buy a bottle of thirty pills, and when they run out, they will have to find you again. They will be able to make copies of the pills, but they will not be in stereo, and the bottom end will be lacking. These pills will have no side effects, other than severe abdominal cramps; swelling of the heart, and rashes that cover the entire body. They will cost $19.99, and if you act now, you will also get a Ginsu knife.

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Judged from this hazy juncture in history, this is as plausible an ultimate outcome as any.

15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    BTW Mellowinman, I dig your pimpin' new icon photo. Every time I see it it makes me thing of Electric Ladyland -- one of of my favorite lands!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021