how would a 12 in with a tweeter sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Mar 7, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    im planning on constructing one of these anyone know of the tone i would get; anyone play through a 12??
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own 2 eden 2/12's(xlt) i love them there the size of the 4/10 box but less magnets so they wiegh 70lb each no feather weight but manageable (got casters to)
    12 are a little "honkyer" ie mor lower mids then 10's.lil more fundamental, less zing on the top, but I like that. a set of flat wounds through them rules!
    have to admit one of the reason I like them is nobody else is playin them so I feel my sound is unique
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You might get more replies in the "Amps" forum - this sort of thing has been discussed there many times and I know that Joris who hangs around there has built his own cabs.
  4. And with that, I will send this to the "Amps" forum
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to use an EVM 12" in a homemade cab (built to EV specs), now use a Genz Benz with a 12" and piezo tweeter and am waiting for delivery of an Epifani T-112 (also 12" plus tweeter).

First I will say that speaker size is MEANINGLESS. Just because it's a certain size says nothing about the way the speaker will respond. Smaller speaker MAY sound "tighter" than larger speakers but this is not always the case.

The real reason to use a 12" is you want to keep the size or weight of the cabinet down. I like the fact that I save maybe 33% of the size and weight of a 15" cabinet and get just as much volume and low end as long as I have enough power to push the cabinet.
  6. nunk6, I have a Fender Bassman 60 w/12 and a horn tweeter. O.K. this is really a big practice amp,
    but the sound is excellent. It sounds tighter than
    a 15 especially at mid volume levels and the tweeter
    gives it a more open high end. I love the sound from
    12s, but, prefer 15s for higher volume levels. Just
    curious, but, why do you want to go with only a
    1-12 cab? How much power are you going to push
    through it? Are you playing Jazz?

Mike J.