Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would a guitar sound through a 200w 210/tweeter combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i want to take up hardcore guitar as a side thingie, would a sansamp+my combo+a cheap guitar sound good? aside from the cheap guitars cheapness?

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    It SHOULD sound o.k.
    A lot of guitarists favour stuff like old Fender Bassman amps.
    Our guitarist uses a Marshall 100w bass head with a 4x12 and that sounds pretty good!
    :bassist:

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It'll probably be fine but you'll want to turn the tweeter down. If you're cranking a lot of fuzz and high end through the cab without the tweeter on you may burn out the attentuator so be careful.

Alex

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Never mind burning the tweeter out, the tone will be horrendous. Tweeters DO NOT sound good with guitars, there is a reason you never see one in a guitar cab, NEVER.
    Besides that fact, I think you would be fine. I have found some of the best, or certainly unique (in a good way) tones I have ever gotten was from doing things wrong. Using a guitar amp for bass, and vice versus always makes things interesting. Turn the tweeter off, or disconnect it and you are rocking.

5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I can not ofr the life of me find any way to turn the tweeter off/moderate it's volume on my ampeg ba-210sp. i can't find my manual, so i was just planning to set the treble to about 10 on the sansamp. would that do? i was also planning on to run the parallel out to a cheap 1x15 combo for distortion. a bass combo :) i like low end. i want to feel the ground shake to my stupid guitaring. i'll probably end up getting a used metal zone and just cranking it.

and steve albini uses a bassman and a 1 12"/tweeter cab (and a tweetlerless cab) in his setup, and his tone is to die for. a bit hissy, but i love it :)

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I didn't mean burning the tweeter out, I meant burning its attenuator out. If you turn the tweeter down then the attenuator has to absorb all those highs, and because you haven't got a tweeter reproducing the highs there's a high risk of putting loads of HF energy into the cab, a small amount of which will come out through the woofers and be heard, the rest of which will go into the attenuator and burn it out without you noticing.

It's a moot point for this combo though, as according to the manual there's no tweeter attenuator. If you cut all the highs on the amp that should stop things sounding too nasty without removing critical tone (the control is voiced higher than any guitar cab goes).

Alex

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IMO, the best thing that you could do is to by a guitar amp modeler with speaker emulation. That way you don't need to worry about the tweeter because the speaker emulation has already tamed the highs.

The Behringer Vamp 2 runs about $130 and sounds awesome. I would recommend that you run it in through the effects return on your amp and completely bypass the bass amp's preamp.

The Mesa, Modified Marshall and Engl models in the Vamp are likely to bring a huge grin to your face...plus you get delay, chorus and reverb effects.

Too much fun in a little blue box...

Oh...I think that Behringer now has a less expensive version...kind of a Vamp stomp box...check out Musician's Friend and see...