How would Aero J's differ from Nordstrands ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How would Aero J's differ from Nordstrands ? Thanks :)

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Don't make me itch to record some comparison clips.

3. PLEASE DO!!

4. +1 I'll be looking for replacement J's soon...

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I may. What I have is 5-strings - a Sadowsky MV5 and a Lakland DJ5 - and the problem is they are of different size. So that I cannot try Nordstrands on Lakland and/or Aeros in Sadowsky. Also to be fair I'll need fresh strings. But perhaps I can fit shorter Nordstrands in longer Fender-size covers. This weekend I'll look into it.

6. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I recently did a lot of research on replacement pickups for my jazz bass and wound up with Aero Series 1 pickups. I was going for a retro sound with lots of bottom and was strongly advised by some TB "experts" that Aeros were the way to go. Without having heard the Nordstrands, I'm thinking the Aeros may have a thicker bottom end.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    IMHO Aeros are a bit "flat" to my experience (no real pronounced frequency in the mids or highs) even though the bass is big and huge (bass is needed but mids are the added trick of the trade for me)

8. b-well5

b-well5

Jul 7, 2008
    do you think then that the nordys are a better choice tnen the aeros single coil

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There is an element of 'RAW' that the Aero Type 1 has that most other J pickups do not. It's a great pickup IMO!

Another to consider is the JBX4 from www.vintagevibeguitars.com similar character but with a very good shielding system that cut's noise down a lot. Nicely priced as well ...

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I had a set of Aeros in my DJ 4 and they felt boomy to me, flat midrange, with a nice raw top end.
    I would certainly go for the Nordies.

I'll be waiting anxiously for the comparison clips hinted at above!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021