1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would I get sort of a spacey sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KKPascal793, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KKPascal793

KKPascal793

Aug 7, 2008
    Hey guys, I just began playing bass about 3 months ago, and I was messing around on my friends Digitech Multieffects Guitar Pedal, and came acorss one offect that sounded really spacey, almost like sound effects from the game Space Invaders.

Now, when I looked at the little booklet for it, it said "VIBRO". I assume this meant Vibrato, but when I looked up some Vibrato videos, and it didn't seem like that would produce the same effect on my bass...

So I was wondering, how could I get that same sort of sound without buying the same effects pedal my friend has? (His isn't very dependable)

Thanks

2. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I get a rather whacked-out spacy sound from my Digitech Multi Chrous pedal if I turn the depth knob up to about 2:00 and crank the rate knob....

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Delay and flanger will get you some super spacey sounds. FLANGER GOES AFTER DELAY FOR SPACEY SOUNDS!!!

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'd think a volume pedal with a chorus, flanger, phase shifter and delay would get you some really spacey sounds.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Massive amounts of Reverb.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Unless you can provide a clip of what you're talking about or more specifics on the multi unit and that patch then you're only going to get other people's opinion on what "spacey" sounds mean to them, which may be completely different than what you're envisioning.

Also, the fact is that you're using a digital modeler designed for guitar with a bass. That patch may not sound anything like what Digitech is trying to model so hearing what it sounds like is pretty much the only way you'll get real advice on how to recreate it.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    A little googling makes me think he's talking about this:

The Digitech RP250

Vibrato / Rotary Models

* DigiTech® Vibrato
    * DigiTech® Rotary
    * DigiTech® Vibro/Pan

Which I think is based on the Univibe... so maybe that's what he means by spacey? If that's the case, check out the Univibe and its clones/competitors.

Like this one, for instance:

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    harmonizer/envelope/(phaser/flanger)/rev/delay

9. Thats basically exactly what I was going to say. The delay creates the ambience and the Flanger adds some spacey sounds to that ambience.

10. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    +2

11. jimmyjammer

jimmyjammer

Jul 28, 2008
    Australia
    Spacey huh? I just got myself a Digitech Bass Synth Wah pedal; it has 7 settings and I reckon most could be described as 'spacey'.

A friend asked me to describe the sounds I could get from it; I said it was like "an alien in your ass". Go to http://www.digitech.com/flash/BassSynthWahDemo.php for a demo

12. I use this for all kind of space sounds :)

xp300.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I was noodling with a multi-fx rack and my bass sounded possessed when I ran it through a ring modulator setting. Maybe more alien than spacey, but could be worth a look. Careful with the live sound when you want to space out - too much can make your sound go missing.