1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How would I go about getting a different neck for a Ray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I've been looking into getting a Ray 34, which is basically a Stingray. However, there's a few problems. First of all, I hate their color selection. I'd like it to have a Maple Neck, but the ones that do have one are the Tobacco burst and Natural colors, neither of which I'm a big fan of. Ideally, I'd like to get an all black one with rosewood and fit a Maple neck. Secondly, I don't like the thickness of the necks. It's something I can live with, but I'd prefer to have a thinner one, and maybe one from a Sterling would do. So where can I purchase these, and how would I fit it on? 6 bolt necks are beyond Warmoth.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    You're only practical option (that I know of), is to buy a black one and a TB (or natural or whatever) one, swap the necks, and then sell the TB one with the rosewood neck on it.

They won't be thinner, but you'll have the color you want.

If you're willing to spend the money to have the neck reshaped and refinished like you want it, then you may as well look for a used American Stingray SLO Special (Stingrays that came with a Sterling neck), for the same total cash outlay.

3. xepher2792

xepher2792

Oct 7, 2011
    Ventura CA
    You could also swap from a SB-14 because that model is based on the Musicman Sterling it should have the Sterling neck profile.