Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would I ship a bass without a case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I have been told the best place to sell my used Washburn MB-4 Mercury Series is on Ebay. I only have one hard shelled case and a soft gig bag. I would need the hard shell case for my new axe. Should I even consider shipping a bass without a hard shelled case? I am in the Atlanta Metro Area. Would I have any luck on Ebay mentioning this, and closing the bidding to only those close enough to come pick it up?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I shipped a bass by double boxing it. I put the bass inside a guitar case box. Then I put that box inside a box for a keyboard. Both of these boxes were picked up for free at a local music store.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    How would you ship a bass without a case? YOU WOULDN'T! Spring for it man, if your going to ship it. it needs a hard case if SOME kind. i don't care if it's a freaking big wooden box with ton's of padding in it, it needs a case. if you can find a buyer localy, that would good, and you can keep your hardcase.

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Big box. Styrofoam peanuts.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you go to a music store (like Gutar Center) you can always ask them for their used shipping boxes. Most Fenders don't come with cases, just packed well in a cardboard box.

Anytime I ship a bass in a gigbag I cut out a couple of thick divider looking pieces to tightly fit the box. I also double or triple panel the box-ends. Then I cut rectangular holes in the dividers to tightly fit the neck and body, slip them onto the gigbag, drop the whole thing into box and this suspends the bass/gigbag within the shipping box.
    UPS can bang the box all they want, the bass is so tightly suspended, it will not smack the sides, top, bottom or ends of the shipping box.

6. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I shipped one without a case recently. I got an oversize box, wrapped the bass completely with bubblewrap from top to bottom, placed it in the middle of the box and then surrounded it with crumpled newspaper and styrofoam popcorn. The receiver said that it was received in perfect condition and the only complaint he had was that it took him 20 minutes to finally have the bass in his hands. :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would probably be better served in miscellaneous

8. Yep. That's how Matt Schmill shipped me my first FBB. (The second one was in a gig bag.)

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I buy basses off Ebay all the time, and several have come to me without cases.

One recently was in a gig bag with a broken zipper, which was surrounded by foam peanuts. Another wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded in peanuts. No probs with either.

Mail Boxes Etc. or PostNet stores, if near you, will assist you in packing it, for a materials fee, of course.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i recently shipped a bass in a gig bag that was placed in an oversized box...the box was filled halfway with styrofoam peanuts, then the bass, then the rest with more peanuts. it shipped just fine.

11. I ship mine in hard cases with tuff card board wrapped around it. It works great. My only suggestion would be to use Airborne Express. They are cheaper, faster, better and you can almost count the number of hands it goes through unlike UPS.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Styrofoam peanuts don't work well for a bass not in a case because there is a wide flat surface to distribute the load with...

I ususally get large sheets of cardboard (fridge or appliance boxes), turn them inside out and make my own boxes.

The bass would get wrapped in foam (bubble wrap probably isn't a good idea either cause if they pop, there's no cushion. I put some heavy paper between the frets and the strings. I pad the headstock and end of the body well and make a tight fitting box.

Next, I buy some 1-1/2 in rigid styrofoam from The Home Depot and cut it to fit the inner box. Then I make another box to fit over the styrofoam encased inner box. I glue the seams and tape the daylights out of it.

It takes me forever but I haven't lost a bass yet!

Oh, one other thing...I always use Fed Ex Ground and not UPS. The service at the customer counter is better, the prices are about 30% less and they've taken better care of the packages.

13. Nah, just write the address on the back of the body with magic marker and stick on a bunch of stamps...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Aloha,

Jonathan

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't generally use peanuts because I'm worried that the bass will settle if they store the box upright.

I do use lots of bubble wrap, air-paks, and rigid styro from computer and monitor shipping cartons to keep the box rigid in case they stack something on top of it. I haven't had a bass arrive damaged yet (knock on wood), and a good 20-30 of them were shipped without a case or gig bag.