1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would my G&L L2500 Tribute sound with an Audere 3ZB preamp?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've got a G&L L2500 Tribute that I really like. I really like this bass, but I don't like the preamp and I'm missing the mid controls I had on my former bass. I've been debating about a pre and have been comparing Bartolini, Aguilar, and Audere.

I've read that the Audere works really well with soapbar pups and Jazz pups, but how would they sound with the MFD humbuckers in my L2500 Tribute? I was thinking about going the 3ZB route with vol, bal, bass/treb stack, high mid/low mid stack. I've replaced the parallel/series switch in my L2500 Tribute with an outer coils/parallel/inner coils switch.

Thanks!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The first Audere I heard was in a G&L L2Ke. It was wired up as Master Vol, Neck Vol, Bridge Vol - z-mode switch, and series parallel for each of the MFD's.

I bought my Audere based on the strength of that bass tonally. So yeah - I'd say the MFD's and audere are a great match.

I pulled my Audere from the bass it was installed in - I'm sending it back to dave and having some EQ options added . I'll install it in my L2K when it get's back. The original bass is one that just seems to want to be a passive bass...

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! Acoustically, this is the best sounding bass I've ever owned. I do really like the way it sounds passive, but if I could have a tranparent preamp that would give me more tonal options that would be great! My L2500 Trib would be set up as follows:

volume
    blend
    treble/bass stack
    high mid/low mid stack
    Z mode switch
    outer coils/parallel/inner coils switch

That should give me a crazy amount of tonal variety!

Did you find that the Audere was transparent? I really like how my L2500 Trib sounds in passive but want more tone control. I don't like the active sound because it sounds a bit harsh to my ears. What I'm looking for in a pre is one where when all EQ controls are set flat I'll get a sound similar to my bass in passive mode. I've heard that the Aguilar OBP3 is like that but I've also heard that the EQ is really touchy and it's easy to overdo it. I've read that the Audere isn't like this.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    bump