Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would these work together . . .

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 9, 2005.

1. DiMarzio Model P + Model J (PJ bass), with an aguilar pre amp

Im looking for a pretty aggressive/growly sound

Im wanting to keep the pickups passive, so that the bass can be run without batterys (bypass switch for preamp)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the pickups will certainly get you an agressive sound, whether in passive or active mode. The aguilar preamp will let you dial in more low end as required (I've rarely ever boosted treble using the aggy preamp)

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I use 1/4 pounders through an old Sadowski preamp in my main Jazz bass, and it's both louder and clearer sounding than my other basses (tho it's easy to get growl out of it, too). I think your setup will be fine.

4. My only problem now is finding where to get them, musicians friend wont ship them internationally, which sucks, they had a nice price going on em!

Music123 only has the individual P or a set of 2 J's, which isnt any good

Shall look more into it later on tonight (going to get the pups before the preamo)

5. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
  6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s just the way it is for us overseas blokes.

The shipping wouldn't be lower even if Music123 shipped overseas.

8. music123 will ship overseas, its just they dont have the pickups, but musiciansfriend have them at about $15-$20 cheaper, so it knocks off the pain in the ass of shipping costs a bit

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    $10 cheaper from what I see, $90 vs $100