Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would this bass sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Jul 25, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    how would a bass with wenge neck, fretboard, and body sound like? the whole bass probably would be all right without any finish, right? perhaps just one layer of oil?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Where do you plan on getting a body made out of wenge? I don't think I've ever seen one.

3. I believe wenge is a hard, dense wood. I think the sound would be pretty tight and growly, very bridge-pickup like with a lot of high end. Probably a lack of that nice, deep, warm bass on the lower strings, but definitely a tight bottom end.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The sound of the bass will only be covered by the sound of your neck breaking when you try to play it standing up, and the sound of the bass falling down.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    probly alot similar to a Warwick, bubinga and wenge are both pretty dence woods, and warwick uses wenge necks/fingerboards.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I imagine it would be pretty heavy, weight that is.

7. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    If I'm not mistaken Warmoth can make you a Wenge body (and neck, and fretboard). I would imagine that it would sound pretty good, sort of a super Warwick. It will be heavy though. I would strongly encourage you to do it.

BenderR
    Lead sales rep
    Acme truss and shoulder pad company

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I think that might just put the bass over the 20lbs mark...

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    im in the process right now of a wenge body on a bass, maple/eucolyptus/ipe neck and morado fretboard....nott the same, but its still got some wenge : )

10. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    :D

I figured it'll be cheaper to use woods that don't require any type finish than using cheaper wood and finishing it.

ok maybe later when I go to college I'll consider building one. sweet. :hyper:

11. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Strangely enough I have been thinking along somewhat similar lines. Padouk and Bubinga do not require finishing either so I am leaning in that direction for a body. The problem is that Padouk starts out orange and then turns brown with exposure to air. So my operative plan (at least for today) is a Wenge neck with a Macassar Ebony fingerboard (fretless) and a Padouk body with a clear satin finish. I would have gone with Bubinga on the body but I spend enough time waxing my Warwick as it is.

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well. I don't think it would be that good, because it hasn't been made. It would also cost a bomb wouldn't it?

13. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I know that Warmoth has built at least one Wenge body because it is pictured on their web site. As I recall the costs weren't that bad, comparable to any other exotic wood such as Bubinga.

"Location: 127.0.0.1"
    Hey, you live the same place as I do.

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    in raw stock, wenge runs about 5-10 bucks more per board foot then plain jane bubinga, figured bubinga runs about 5 bucks more then wenge a BF...4/4 wenge runs approx 12-18 (in a retail store ) per foot.

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    There's been a Gecko wenge body on their "Available" section for a couple of months now. I almost purchased it when I put together my walnut Gecko. It probably would be a fairly heavy bass but it would have a nice phat sound. I have a wenge neck on my Gecko and also on my Elrick. IMO they have a great feel and real add that "woody" sound to the instrument.
    You are correct in stating that they would not require a finish. I did put a few coats of polymerixed tung oil on my wenge Gecko neck but it's not really required. It's one of the few necks that Warmoth will warranty without a hard finish.

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's a wenge top, not body.

17. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    That actually explains a lot.

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Heavy.
    And some oil coat would be quite beneficial! (to say the least)

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Bubinga actually is denser than wenge. It would probably, for the most part, sound like any bass with a through-body wenge neck and a dense body wood - like most NT Warwicks before they changed to Ovangkol necks.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It would sound incredibly monstorous.

Ive played an all wenge Thumb and it was awesome. Huge low end and top end with a kinda scooped sound that still had a nice amount of growl and bite to it. Not too scooped really.

The low end was huge though. So big I thought there musta be an octave effect on or something but nope, that wasnt the case.