Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jun 13, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    were i to ever build the jazz bass i so desperatly want to build, i want it to have super versatile electronics. i was actually thinking somewhere along the lines of the warwick dolphin.

a J pickup in the normal neck position.

and then two j's stuck right next to each other.

now, wouldn't it be REALLY interesting to have the electronics wired up to have:

3 concentric pots -
    Master Volume & Neck/Bridge Blend
    Front bridge/rear bridge blend & Mid
    Bass & Treble

i suppose all the pickups would have to be stacked humbuckers, because single coils would hum on a few settings.

further adding to the sound options, what if i used bartolini pickups and put their "normal" J pickup by the neck, but then with the bridge pickups had one of them be the "bright" pickup and one be a "deep" pickup.

would it be worth it? it'd be really interesting i think...

jason

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Tell ya what build it then send it to me and i will keep it and tell ya what i think! Hehe had to try! Try it dude see what happens!

3. Aside from pickup combination, you've essentially described the J-Retro preamp from Vintage Bass Trading Co. To see more try this:

www.vintagebass.com

I'll soon have one of these puppies and boy am I gonna enjoy it. The reviews of these units are fabulous!

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only difference would be the blend pot for the front bridge/rear bridge. but i could probably wire it in somehow.

i, too, have heard that preamp is awesome.

jason