how would this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jun 13, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    were i to ever build the jazz bass i so desperatly want to build, i want it to have super versatile electronics. i was actually thinking somewhere along the lines of the warwick dolphin.

a J pickup in the normal neck position.

and then two j's stuck right next to each other.

now, wouldn't it be REALLY interesting to have the electronics wired up to have:

3 concentric pots -
    Master Volume & Neck/Bridge Blend
    Front bridge/rear bridge blend & Mid
    Bass & Treble

i suppose all the pickups would have to be stacked humbuckers, because single coils would hum on a few settings.

further adding to the sound options, what if i used bartolini pickups and put their "normal" J pickup by the neck, but then with the bridge pickups had one of them be the "bright" pickup and one be a "deep" pickup.

would it be worth it? it'd be really interesting i think...

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Tell ya what build it then send it to me and i will keep it and tell ya what i think! Hehe had to try! Try it dude see what happens!
  3. Aside from pickup combination, you've essentially described the J-Retro preamp from Vintage Bass Trading Co. To see more try this:

I'll soon have one of these puppies and boy am I gonna enjoy it. The reviews of these units are fabulous!
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only difference would be the blend pot for the front bridge/rear bridge. but i could probably wire it in somehow.

i, too, have heard that preamp is awesome.