Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would you arrange these effects on a board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thephilosopher, Aug 14, 2005.

1. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    OK, I've got:

boss ce2-b
    boss bf2-b
    boss tu-2
    crybaby bass wah
    tubeworks bluetube

i'm thinking it'd be nice if i went bass - bluetube - chorus - flanger - wah - tuner. what do you guys think? how would you arrange them?

2. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    I think most people prefer their bass whas' at the beginning of their chain :)

3. Pearldiver

Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    You should consider putting the Tuner as the first thing in your chain. So when you do tune you don't run the risk of a frayed/dying cable giving you a inaccurate reading.

Also it's a nice mute in case your rig goes haywire.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bass -> Tuner -> Bluetube -> Flanger -> Wah -> Chorus

5. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004

i was thinking that it'd work best at the end of the chain incase any pedals go haywire, but the inaccurate reading part is also something to worry about.

thanks, folks.

6. I run my TU2 at the end of my signal chain, and my crybaby second (after Big Muff). It seems the majority of TB'ers seem to prefer tuners at the front of the chain though.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I found this picture to be very helpful.

[​IMG]

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, I prefer wah and envelope filters after distortion/OD/fuzz... try it both ways, you'll hear a significant difference between the two orders.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I like both ways. They're both good.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Something you're not telling us little buddy? :eyebrow:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would add an ABY box and split the tuner off by itself so you can mute the signal and also not interfere with the signal path of your effects.

Then I wouldn't care a whole great deal about what order everything else goes in. Chorus and flanger are pretty well interchangeable in the line. I prefer putting distortion last, but there's times I like it first. And wah should probably go first, but sometimes it sounds good last.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    As you can see, there is no rigid rule on how these things are connected. Everybody does things differently with base guidelines.

If my amp didn't have a tuner out I would go

Tuner>Wah>Boob tube>Flanger>Chorus