1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you change this effects chain sequence and why?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cutter8, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I am fairly new to using effects and I'm trying to learn more about how they interact with each other and understand how their sequencing impacts the way they work. So, I'd like to hear what you would do differently with the pedals I'm using.

My current effects chain:

3EDCA356-2372-4497-B9C6-D61C44556489.jpeg

Loop-Master A/B Switch > Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > EBS Octabass > Mojo Hand Analogue Filter 443 > Southampton Utility Knife > JohnK Blue Note OD > JohnK Bearclaw OD/Distortion > California Audio Labs Grizzly > T.C. Electronic Corona Mini Chorus > JohnK Deep Blue Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp Sonic Maximizer > Zeibek Submarine Pro Bass Preamp w/UltraBASS > T.C. Electronic HOF Mini Reverb > Rothwell Love Squeeze > TCE Ditto Looper X2

If you were working with the pedals listed above, are there any you would eliminate? If so, what and why? Would you change the sequence? If so, how and why?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and advice! :thumbsup:

DrMole, kesslari and gh0st42 like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    HPF at the beginning.

3. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Does it make any difference that my amp has “a precision high order active high pass filter”? (quote taken from the “Input” description in Genzler Magellan 800 manual).

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    What's the A/B switch for? You're not using two loops...is it just a master bypass of the board?

I'd go
    Love Squeeze (to tighten it all up at the beginning)
    Octabass
    Mojo Hand Filter
    Submarine
    Blue Note OD
    Grizzly
    Bearclaw
    Utility Knife
    HOF
    Deep Blue Delay
    Tuner (like tuner at the end as a master mute if your cables go wonky)
    Looper

I have found success with comp/oct/filter/boost/dirt/modulation/reverb/delay/tuner/looper.

Eliminate: Sonic Stomp, TC Chorus (Utility Knife has this) - frees up space on the board for the Looper.

Cutter8 likes this.
  5. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Brace yourself: if 17 bassists answer this you're gonna get 17 different answers.

4dog, g-sp0t, MTN.bass72 and 13 others like this.
  6. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    The only reason for the A/B switch is so I can have two basses plug in and switch between them with the pedal.

What changes when modulation is placed after distortion rather than before? I just use the Submarine at unity volume as an always on sweetener pedal, not as a boost. For that purpose, would you still put it before the distortion pedals?

Stumbo and 31HZ like this.
  7. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    That’s what I expect, and I’m hoping to learn from the different opinions/approaches.

lomo, Monterey Bay-ss and Peteyboy like this.
  8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Understood about the A/B switch now. Interesting idea!

Any effect you put after something effects the sound before it. Sounds logical, right? I prefer distorting or fuzzing a clean signal, then modulating the distorted tone. Sounds 'fuller' to me. It's especially noticeable putting a flanger before distortion. Super tinny and thin when the flange hits its high point and then gets distorted.

ObsessiveArcher and Cutter8 like this.
  9. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely try the Utility Knife after the dirt pedals. :thumbsup:

Adienn7 likes this.
  10. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Utility knife between the chorus and the delay, reverb right after the delay
    Try the compressor right after the tuner/before filter & go with your preference
    Try the grizzly into the OD & go with your preference

11. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Yeah utility knife and reverb toward the end.. A buffered loop blender.. Maybe isp gate.. More widely used effects closer to you.. And always on in the back.. The submarine would be always on w/ no sub bass.. Tuner at end for mute.. Comp after envelope and octave.. Cause of lows they produce..
    -Loopstation before so use get the cleanest loop.. The you can do dry or wet loops-
    Blend loop buffer-
    filter
    Octave
    Comp
    fuzz
    Overdrive
    Heavy drive
    Gate
    Modulation
    Eq preamp
    Tuner
    -Bend loop buffer

Cutter8 likes this.
  12. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks, I’ll definitely give your suggestions a try. What is the thinking behind the Utility Knife going after the chorus and before the delay?

I’m realizing that it’s a bit silly that I’ve never tried a compressor anywhere but last in the chain. The first thing I’m going to try, before a change anything else, is putting the Love Squeeze right before the Mojo Hand Filter. Mo’Phat suggested that too. I’m very curious to hear what it does. I may run the Love Squeeze into the Loop-Master so I can A/B between the compressor at the beginning of the chain and at the end.

13. I found I prefer an octave pedal in front. A clean input seems to "track" better.
    Overdrive into Distortion is my current favorite. For these, it's very subjective which ones sound good by themselves, let alone stacked.
    Then "modulation" - so chorus, delay, flanger, etc. This tends to keep the core sound intact with desired adjustments made to them.
    When I ran a compressor, I liked it better at the front. Even in / even out!
    Hope that helps!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    grosseout99 and Cutter8 like this.
  14. I’d go pretty much this but swap the order of reverb after delay... kind of like how I like my wah’s at the end too... prefer to filter a delay than the delay to chop and repeat a filter...
    this is kind of assuming your using long / heavily affected reverbs
    Just my 2 cents..
    That and id get rid of octave but I play a 5 string BEADG :)

Cutter8 likes this.
  15. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Most likely 25 answers from 17 bassists. This is TB after all. :D

16. I love the bass to amp answer. That's what I did before but I think my bass got a lot cleaner sounding with bass --- compressor --- eq --- amp. If I want a warmer sound I would switch the compressor and eq . Or you can just DI and let the sound tech/engineer "fix-it".

17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Nice setup! If it were me, I’d be thinking about incorporating a loop switcher. Maybe even a programmable one. So various combos could be switched in/out of the path. And so they’re not all in the chain all the time.

Cutter8 likes this.
  18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Tuner
    (HPF if you are about that)
    Oct
    Envelope filters
    Synth
    Comp
    Dirt
    Modulation - (phase/chorus/trem/etc)
    Analog Delay
    Digital Delay
    Reverb
    Any digital looping

Compression definitely after your envelope filter if you want full expression. Octave before the filter just because it does that great synth sound.

I’m not a fan of sonic maximizers so I would drop that one...

lomo and Cutter8 like this.
  19. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Yeah, I’m not sure how I feel about the sonic maximizer. I go back and forth on it.

ObsessiveArcher and Standalone like this.
  20. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I think a loop switcher would be good, once I get a better idea of how I like to combine my pedals, but I’m a little gun shy about programmable stuff. I’ll have to start looking at what the options are.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.