Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you classify SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRN, Jun 18, 2003.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    When you think SWR sound what music do you think of. Would you recommend it for a rock/metal gig with Warwick 5 string bases?

I am going to go try SWR out but just wanted to get some real world feedback.

I have searched and searched and searched into page 20 or so so most of my questions were answered but just want to see if Warwick Streamer 2/Thumb 5 NT SWR and (2) 4 ohm Eden 410 XLT sounds like a great rock/metal pick style rig or do you think the SWR is more of a slap/finger D.M.B. Band style amp.

By the way I am looking at the SM900

Thanks,
    Dave

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    That sounds like a perfect combo, I used a Warwick Thumb thru an sm 500 and 4x10 cab for years
    Go test one out,take your bass with you. Good stuff.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Look at the SWR artist's page. This stuff is used in every kind of music. The 900 is very versatile tone-wise. Sounds like a great setup.

brad cook

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    really ya just gotta try em and compare to other stuff
    p-nut from 311 uses the swr/warwick combo to good effect
    the 410 is a good cabinet and the 900 has a good amount of usable watts
    i think you eventually have to decide if the preamp sounds right for you, swr sounds crystal clear, but a lot of people find it too sterile sounding...............cuts through nice in a band though
    good luck:)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You might consider going with two 8 ohm cabs instead of 4 ohm, so that you can bridge the amp and milk the full potential of the SM-900. That's how I'm running mine, and I'm quite happy with the results... :)

6. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    If I can get away from work here shortly I will be going to GC to check one out.

I already own the (2) 410 XLT cabs. I have had them for about a year. Just looking for a new head to match up with them.
    I plan on usually using one 410 cab for small to medium gigs so I would be able to bridge the amp for the extra headroom.

I am also going to force myself to try Ampeg tonight. I have never been a fan of Ampeg but one of my favorite bassplayers uses an SVT2 pro and I love his tone.

7. I gots a Warwick Streamer LX thru an SWR Grand Prix feeding a Stewart and a Crown (bi-amped) with Eden 2x10 and 1x15 and let me tell you it freakin' rocks!!! Definitely a great rock rig.

I think SWR is fairly versatile depending on what model you get. More so, than, say, Ampeg.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well hell,
    if you already got the cabs............
    i'd say try the 900 and ampeg classic svt but.........
    i'd seriously reccomend a stewart or qsc plx power amp and a good preamp (swr, eden, aguilar, demeter, alembic, kern, etc)
    the 900 is a cool amp but it can't match the real world power of the plx or stewart (which are both very light)
    especially when you are using two 8 ohm cabs

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You'll sacrifice 100 watts running two 4 ohm cabs in stereo - 800w total instead of 900. Not a terrible loss.

:)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd describe it as less emphasis on the midrange compared to say, Ampeg.

Since the amps have pretty sophistciated EQ so you can plenty of tonal variety.

11. i think condoms with spermicide, latex gloves, hydrogen peroxide, and sterile bandages.:meh:

12. For a while I had a loaner rig consisting of an SWR Grand Prix preamp with a Yamaha power amp. Compared to my Eden WT-500, I found the SWR sound to be clearer, but thinner. I had a hard time getting the low mids and bottom end filled out compared to the Eden.

I also borrowed the SWR Bass 350 and compared it with my WT-500 and found much the same thing as with the Grand Prix/power amp combo. I find the SWR sound to be sort of polite, studio-like, and thin.

For rock tones, I'd probably say Ampeg.... or Ashdown. Not hi-fi, but FAT!

You might want to check out one of the Eden WT-600s or WT-800s too.

--

kevin

http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/~ab752
    (my own home page.... imagine that!)

13. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I used to run a Kern IP777 and a Crown K2 amp so I am familiar with this set up but with the extra weight (this was before the QSC) and the extra rack spaces needed I am trying to get my rig down in size.

I am currently running an Eden WT 800 but am not thrilled with the sound of it. I know everyone loves these things but I am just not happy with the overall tone. So I set out on my quest to see if the tone in my head is a dream or if I can get closer with another head.
    You know what else sucks, where I live (Philadelphia/South Jersey) the local music stores do not carry $#*%. It is all low end garbage.

Thanks for your replies and I will let you know what happens.

14. When I think of Rock and Roll I think of Ampeg, Hartke, Ashdown, and the best R&R tone I've heard comes from Bergantino. SWR is more of a hi-fi jazz, funk, weather channel type of tone. jmho.

15. I know where you're coming from, with regards to a quality (but cumbersome road rig) versus an integrated unit. It's really frustrating when you have the sound you want, but your gear weighs a ton.

Right now, I'm using an Alembic F-2B with a Hafler power amp, but I would really prefer something easier on the back. But maybe you should check out some of the light weight switching amps (Stewart, QSC) as a cure.

I had a Redhead for a while (my first and last 210 combo), also an early Eden Valvetech head (preamp designed by Demeter), and that thing just killed, what a beauty that was, too bad it died on me, or I'd still be using it today. But yeah, I think the new Eden amps are, well, just like everything else now, stuffed with alot of useless parametric EQ that squishes your tone into mud.

16. here's a picture of the rig i now use, a swr 750x head, alesis 3630 compressor, 2 ampeg 15" svt cabs and either the mesa power house 2x10 or the swr 2x10 (depending on the tone i want etc)...3 cabs x 8 ohms = 850 watts...i usually run the head on about 2-3 going up against a couple marshall halfstacks and a lunitic drummer !!!it cuts right thru....swr heads are not known for their fat bottom but are very hi-fi, using the compressor allows me to regain some bottom and still cut thru...

17. I tried a Super Redhead combo. last weekend and at first wasn't really impressed. The amp. just didn't seem alive and sounded sterile. I get the feeling that at louder volumes or at least louder than the shop I was in allowed that it might sound a lot better.

Note: I bought a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout and 2X10 instead. :)

If you want to hear some cool SWR sounds, check out Michael Manring's recordings.

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i will say this........
    any swr head with a sans amp di in front of it becomes a much warmer animal - a real nice tone
    i used that sort of setup for rock at times.

19. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

SWR means: Sold Without Remorse

20. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Well I did not have much time to check everything out but I went to GC and did what I could.

Mesa 600- I just gave this a quick test. Not really for me. Just sounded weak. Not power wise but tone weak.

Ampeg 4 pro- Sounded great on the hi's and mids really could get a great tone but as soon as I drop to low B It was either thin or muddy. I could not get a good tigh low end out of it.
    I played this through (2) ampeg 410 cabs.

SWR SM 900- Sounded good. It definatley is a clearer tighter tone then my Eden and I think I like that. It has alot of eq options and I was able to get a great mid and hi tone with a much better then ampeg tight low tone. Not exactly what I wanted but I think with all the eq options I could dial it in.
    I was playing through a single SWR 410 (did not have the time to change it to (2) 410 cabs) This is the first time I can say I felt my pants flappin. The cab was on the floor and man do they move some air. My eden rig does not do that.

Well I am going to go back when I have some more time so I can run them side by side power for power. The Ampeg was bridged the SWR was mono. I want to hear the SWR bridged.
    First impression I like what the SWR had to offer. It was close to what I was looking for and it still remains at 2 rack spaces vs Ampeg at 3 spaces.

After trying out these amps I went and played my Eden rig to make sure I just did not have GAS. The Eden just may not be for me. Where the SWR is clean and tight the Eden can be a bit overdriven and loose. (at least in my style of playing) I am sure Eden is great for finger style and slap but straight hard hitting rock I still do not know.

Thanks for the input and if you have any other sugestions let me know.