1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how would you cop this? synth? synth fuzz? what is close?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ihateusernames, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006

sometimes i'd rather be a keys player, but i'm not. i play guitar, bass, piano - how can my bass play this????

2. moog low pass filter? you will never get that exact sound

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    ...and the gauntlet has been thrown down.:D

Let's see who can come up with it.:bassist:

4. OC-2->Some sort of Fuzz->Moog LPF will get 90% of that sound

5. Pretty much this but but you'll also want an expression pedal to control the cutoff and the fuzz should probably be gated. You might want to also look at the Iron Ether Xerograph as a cheaper, smaller alternative to the Moog with better bypass. Additionally, you'll want to pick the "right" gated fuzz here. You're after something very synthy but really fat and not too harsh so I'd suggest a Zvex Wooly Mammoth clone. The Chunk Systems Brown dog gets a little crazy sometimes so I don't know it it would be best here. The first poster was right in saying that you won't be able to cop this exact tone but I think you can get reasonably close.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't think the Mammoth is the right tool for the job here. A bit more "thick" than I'm hearing in that clip. And the BD would be too nasally IMO.

The closest I ever got to that sound was BMS-->Noisebox-->Moog LPF with the Bass Micro Synth really only used for filtering and a touch of suboctave to give a keyboard like attack.

The difficulty was working the expression control of cutoff to not open the Moog too far or you lose the smoothness of that tone when the Noisebox starts really cutting through.

7. See now I want to try it with my setup (MXR Bass Octave Deluxe -> Brown Dog -> Iron Ether LPF that I have yet to buy), lol. The Brown Dog and Mammoth are the only two gated fuzzes I have any experience with so I couldn't say much of anything else. Now I want a Mammoth :(

8. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    You need an ADSR filter with medium-short attack, medium, decay, medium-short sustain, medium release (about where the decay is set), and an LFO to do the longer sweep. Two detuned saw waves and a sine wave an octave below.