1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you describe a Peavey T-40 neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Or at least... what would you compare it to? This is a weird and random question, I suppose, since I own one and play it constantly, but I don't know the first thing about necks (D shaped? U shaped? no clue).

What's weird is that I have a MIM Jazz with a skinny little neck that makes my hand cramp up every time i play down by the nut; the Peavey feels much more substantial than the Jaz. And I've got an SX P-bass with a fat baseball bat of a neck that feels alright in my hand, but is thick enough that it noticeably slows down my hand; in this case the Peavey feels much thinner and faster. After much playing of many basses, the T-40 neck seems to fit my hand better than any other.

So if I'm right in assuming the T-40 neck falls somewhere in between, what are these necks comparable to? Anyone know the neck radius, nut width, or other pertinent specs? And what neck shape is this so I can know what to look for in future basses? Thanks!

2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It's pretty widely accepted that the peavey t-40 has a medium sized neck that is essentially p-bass dimensions. My t-40's have the same width as a p-bass which is definatley wider than jazz bass necks, and a bit thicker than my MIM p-bass neck which is rather thin as p necks go, but it's not as thick as my Warmoth p-bass neck which is a delightfull log..

I prefer p-bass size necks, and the peavey is indeed one of my more comfortable necks.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Wide as a larger Pbass neck but slightly thinner, front to back.

4. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Firewood.

5. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Hard to adjust, without a special little tool from Peavey....at least I haven't had much luck.

6. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    heavy

chunky

smooth

This is starting to sound like a description of myself
    or peanut butter

7. bad5x8

bad5x8

Sep 17, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    I took a small socket...and ground it down on my bench grinder to fit. It has to be very thin walled to work. I find a ratchet easier to use then the small tool.

8. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Cool, that seems to be how it feels in my hand, at least compared to my other basses. I think I definitely prefer P-bass sized necks since the Peavey feels almost small in my hands. One of the reasons I'm asking, I've been casually looking for a P/J bass and the other day I got the chance to try out an ESG Vintage 4. It has a P bass neck, but it just didn't fit my hands at all... much too fat and thick, I actually had a hard time playing it. Didn't help matters that the action was about 1/2" from the fretboard. But I was surprised that the neck didn't work for me.

9. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Just saw this thread.

I am clearly biased, but I think the T-40 neck is a dream.