How would you describe Les Claypool's sound?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rabid_granny, May 10, 2002.

1. Heeeey there. I'm still trying to understand all of this punchy-fat-tight lingo stuff.

So, I have a bunch of early Primus albums. How would you describe Claypool's sound?

I think farty but nobody uses that term.
  2. F----- up?

Seriously, I would describe his tone as 'punchy'.

(Althought punch drunk might be more accurate).
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

"My name is mud" :D
  5. Okay...but seriously. I wasn't trying to mock Les Claypool but I need something as a reference.

Is this an example of punchy? Tight? Fat? Wha?
  6. Are we talking about his bass tone or his singing? :D

I will go with "punchy" as well, especially after seeing Frog Brigade live.
  7. Ah, I'm thinking of the older Primus sound. His tone on Frizzle Fry was very nasal, heavy on the high mids and treble. Don't even get me started on his fretless sound--ugh. It was quite obnoxious, IMO.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say his fretless tone qualifies as "out", as in often out of key and often out of pitch.

and seemingly "out of there" - i don't think he plays that thing anymore.
  9. Farty seems the best description, I think. Not that its truely bad, I don't like it personally, but Claypool makes it sound pretty funky and cool.

His singing turns me off though.

I don't think "Tight" is right because it sounds pretty sloppy to me, and too trebly for "Fat", so, "Punchy" is best, and maybe "Growling".

If you're looking for tone references, BP has this cool little article in the Amp section which described pretty clearly what "Tight", "Punchy" "Growly" "Warm" and the whole bunch of the other descriptions mean. Inaddition it had this really cool picture of a "aural transducer"(?) which looked like a Preamp on jolt cola and pixie sticks.