How would you describe the Hartke sound? (transporter)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pork Soda, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    I'm looking into buying a used 4x10 cab and I'm seeing these hartke's everyehere for pretty cheap (about $250) but I have never heard one. How do they compare to Ampeg, SWR, Fender, or Peavey?
    I'm kind of going for a Rancid/Anti-Flag type bass sound but I also like classic punk like Dead Kennedys and The Business as well as funk metal like Primus and Nuclear Rabbit.
    Oh yeah, I will be using a Gallien-Krueger 400RB head.
    If anyone has any other suggestions for a used cab, I have about $250 to spend.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    awesome cabs. I have one and I love it. I am also a punk bassist and i think it nails it pretty well. The only cabs i like better are the the ampeg 8x10's, but hey who doesn't. I suggest getting one by all means. If you have any questions just PM me.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're <small>quiet</small>
  4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    not very good. the heads are great, but the cabs are lacking.
  5. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I dont mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't like Hartke's sound. That is not important though. Hartke's products have a higher failure rate than almost any bass product out there. I used to work at Sam Ash, who makes Hartke (Samson makes Hartke, but Samson is made by Sam Ash as well). The in-house repair guy used to repair Hartke gear more than any other gear I have ever seen. Their speakers blow easily and their electronics are kind of cheap. I think their heads sound ok, but they are easily broken. If you like the sound, then go for it. But I think the other brands you named are all much better than Hartke. If you do get Hartke, go for the XL series instead of the Transporters. Let me know how it goes.

6. the 410's are a thin and airy soung, kinda weak i think
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hartke 4-10 is similar in tone to the classic Ampeg 8-10 with more edge due to the aluminum cones. Punchy and cut through the mix but no extended bottom end or super bright highs. For a punk rock style, perfect.

The XL series sounds better than the Transporters mostly because the lighter plywood used to make the Transporters tends to resonate more, blurs the sound a bit.

Used Ampeg 4-10s sometimes get down to $250. The Peaveys are easy to find tt at that price, but they have a mellower sound with less midrange and don't cut through as well.

If you're on a tight budget, the Transporter will work fine but you should keep your eyes peeled for an XL or Ampeg which would be a better deal.
  8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i would say they have no balls. very stale sounding, almost too crisp and metallic. and quiet too. if you want high end bite they would be great, but for some low end oomfph, youll need to add another cab. from what i can tell ( i used to play through a 1415 combo, 140 watts, 15" speaker) their 15s cant handle a lot of power, and have a very pronounced midrange, but not much bass. the transporters are nto good cabs.... if you like the hartke sound try to get the XL series.

all my opinion of course;)
  9. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Hartke cabs have a different sound, what with the aluminum cones and all. It can be a cool sound. Lots of people like it, but it isn't the sound I want. It may be the perfect sound for you.

I agree with the others here who have said to spend the extra bucks for the XL's rather than the Transporters if you go Hartke.

I don't know about reliability because I've never used them much, but I have heard quite a few people who have had trouble with Hartke heads.
  10. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    When you say "quiet" do you mean, not loud, or not noisy/buzzy.
    Do you think it would be better to go with a higher quality used 2x10 instead. I've seen Ampeg 2x10s for pretty cheap ($200) and older SWRs for about the same.
    My band has 2 guitars (Behringer 60watt 1-12 and Peavey 60watt all tube 1-12), drums (loud!) and 2 vocal mikes run into a 6 channel Crate 400watt powermixer. We play clubs and theater-sized places with anywhere from 40-400 people. The bass is VERY definitive in our songs, so I would definately need something that can cut through the mix.
    Would a quality 2x10 be enough (I could always mike it, but I would like about equal stage volume) or should I go for the Hartke or a Peavey 4x10? I don't mind the Peavey sound but I know nothing of its quality and no stores around here carry Hartke's.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If I needed a 410 to be used with a 15 and was on a budget I'd consider an XL. The Transporter series has always sounded lacking to me.