Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you describe the rick without a pick sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Nov 9, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    im fairly new to rics i had the chance to play one in australia but i played sumic else and livin in ireland ive never seen one

i know lemmy plays one with a pick and it sounds great but tell me what does it sound like played with fingers?

and i guess it aint really a bass to be slappin on?

Thanks Aurin

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Some think that Rics are okay/great for slap. I have one and I don't like it for slap. The finger tone on a 4003 is P-bass ish with a ric vibe, but doesn't nail the 4001 sound that everyone knows and loves.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Ric without pick = early Rush

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the Rick w/o pick sound, particularly the 4003. With the bass boosted, it can get a P bass sound , and with treble boosted, it gets more of a Rick sound. I like to get it somewhere in the middle so its got some bass but also some bite to it. (I dont own a Rick, just play one the store...a lot :<) Its a smooth sound with some treble bite if you so choose. Its certainly a very even sound, very warm.

5. I find also its very "P-bassish" Just with more treble.

You can slap the bass if you want...some find they can get some good slappin from it..some find it isnt so good for slappin.

BTW...Lemmys Rics were modified with Thunderbird neck pickups...so you arent really hearing a true Ric sound...but a modded version.
    And the Lemmy sig has Ric humbuckers. So not quite the same either.

6. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Figjam---When you gonna buy that dang Ric you keep playing at the store? Do they ever hide it when they see you coming? :p

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sadly never/not for like 3 years, heh. I have other things i need before it, and as much as i dig the tone, i need a bass that slaps well. First thing is a new amp this winter, and then a new bass after the summer (after i work my butt off all summer to get money) and as of now im thinking a Spector Euro 4, could change by then though.

I wish i could buy the Rick now though, heh.

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    before anyone says it, Cliff Burton's sound is not a true Ric.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've been pretty surprised recently that Ricks sound like they do - given a neck-through w/ all maple construction. A lot of it is the pickups and their locations I suppose.

10. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Rics are definately fine to thump on, at least in my opinion. It's a little awkward to play pizzicato though, there really is no comfortable place to rest your thumb...you can grow used to it though.

11. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I put my thumb on the rear pickup once the cover is removed. I find that I can dig in hardcore. I have 4001's and 4003's and I can slap etc. I play fingerstyle and do not use any kind of pick...I find that the sound is more expressive(especially in the mids) when I play live. I have played Ricks since I was 16 and (now 34!) have never had much difficulty...I have had many other basses as well but always come back to the number 1 for me RICK!!!

12. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i like to play my 4001 with my thumb on the neck pickup but with the switch on the bridge pickup, or both with the neck pickup at half volume. you can really dig in and get that aggresive geddy style and the growl never stops.

13. The Ric needs a pick. only bass like that though. 911 porsche is made in convertible, but they are missing the point. the ric should be picked. the 911 should be hardtop (and manual).

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nah...they don't necessarily need a pic. They sound good with one but they have a great fingerstyle sound as well. I loved the way my old 4003 sounded fingerstyle. Of course it did have a badass II on it but I don't know just how much that affected or changed the tone from the original Ric tone. Basically they sound great either way.
    -Bazz-

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ric without pick - to me B War from Marduk comes to mind. Punchy, kick-ass tone with a lot of girth and grind and all other noises (fret-buzz, sliding on string, harmonics, etc), but those noises strangely blend well into the tone. It just kicks @$$. :smug: Lots of treble and aggressive mids, or smoother highs and mids at the change of the technique.
    I Ric is still on my long-term wish-list :bassist:

16. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Remember, Geddy used his fingernails to get more bite!!!

17. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah, Geddy had a pretty bitey sound anyway, he plucked pretty hard.