How would you describe the sound of Bag End cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Aug 19, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I've seen people refer to them as clear and crisp , others claim it sounds very warm and vintage.

How would you describe the sound of Bag End cabs?

I've got a bag end rig in mind that would be absolutley monstrous but before I go any further I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about the cabs since I can't really play any of them around here.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1 I'd like to hear what you guys think of em aswell. Especially the 2 410 models bag end has.

3. appler

appler Guest

Really, really good.

Try a search or check out this thread. These cabinets are pretty popular around here. I love my S15-D. I'd describe its sound as punchy, tight, and articulate with very a prominent midrange.
  4. I have an S15d. To my ears it has a nice mid-range bite, and is a great compliment to a scooped-midrange 210 cab (in my case, an SWR Gol.III jr. 210).
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I suck at describing sound with words, but I'd have to agree with this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    the 210 with the coaxial tweeter has alot of zing to it. Its pretty bassy and has a decent amount of mid scoop. It definitely has it's own characteristic zing to it though, and (I don't know if they're still like this or not) but my 210 had no tweeter attenuator.

I liked the S15D alot. It was pretty much as described above. Plus, it's very compact, and fairly inexpensive. Although, compared to my old aguilar 115, it didn't have the low end extension, or push as much air. I'm guessing it's because of the difference in size of the two boxes. The Bag End 15 is definitley as small as it could be, and the aggie was at least as big as a 410.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast

Compared to the big Eden 4x10 tone wise: Less mid scoop, more bottom end and a bit louder. The coax is AMAZING, I don't know how something could be so smooth, yet so effective. The high end is clear and crisp, and always connected with the rest of the sound, always sounding natural, but capable of glass shattering highs if you wanted them.

The cab is big and heavy, but well worth the grunt if you need this kind of volume. Make sure it's well fed with plenty of power.
  8. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Would 900 watts be enough?

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Where can you buy Bag End online?

BTW, I played through an Ampeg SVT-CL running a BE 4x10 atop a BE 1x18. The sound was awesome, and of course vintage. I'm sure with a different head, it would've been a different story. I've not played a CL anywhere else.

18" speaker + Tubes = wow
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I got mine in two separate sales from BassNW - great people, great prices.
  11. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    +1 for bassnw they answer all of my emails within 24 hours.
  12. I used to run a bag end 18" with a 4x10 Hartke on top. The 18 was quite nice, not boomy and muddy, but pretty smooth sounding. It was a killer setup, but heavy. Until I got a pair of EA VL-210's, I was very pleased with it.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some searches would pick up some good descriptions, but here goes.

FWIW, I'm not affiliated with bag end of any of its dealers. I also don't think that bag end is "the best" meaning that i think there are probably 10-20 other brands of cabs out there that are just as good, but just sound different. I would use any number of them w/o hesitation.

anyhow, I've been lucky enough to do extensive comparison of BE cabs with several other cabs, both on gigs and in stores.

The S15 is "the" bag end cab. (note: in this post i'll refrain from using the last letter designation of the cabs which is found after the "-". all that refers to is if the cab is in black carpet "C", birch "B", or deep red carpet "D"). The S15 isn't as deep sounding as a lot of other 15" cabs, but it does a great job with upper partials and sounds tighter as a result. The S15 has a very punchy midrange and more of an "old school" vibe. It's probably one of the most articulate 15" cabs around, and is my choice for a standalone. The S15X has the coaxial tweeter and the coax sounds very nice in all the cabs it comes with. Not too harsh, but very "airy". The 15" speaker is also available in a huge cab called the S15B, which has insane bass response and is a direct descendant of the 15" cabs used by phil lesh in the 1974 "wall of sound". There is also another cab called the S15L (used to be the S15cus) that is exactly the same exterior dimensions of the D10B 210 cab. It seems to have more lows than the S15, but not quite the midrange clarity.

The S12 is my second favorite cab. I don't like it as a standalone as it is a bit thin on bass response, but it has an amazing and aggressive mid to high mid presence that i've never heard from any other box by BE or any other manufacturer. On top of an S15 (or almost any other cab) it adds an unreal presence to your sound. The 12 is also available in a 212 (D12) and used to be available in a monster 412 cab (Q12)

The 10" BE speakers are all very different. the original D10 and Q10 were in a very shallow box. most of them were made with a coaxial speaker. They are very punchy and articulate, but i still like the midrange on the 15 and 12 better. Today they just make the deeper version of the boxes (D10B and Q10B). These cabs probably have the most bass response of the BE line barring "elf/infra" systems, and the S15B and S18B cabs) the D10X is a great cab, but the mids are more subdued than the 15 and 12. The secret weapon in the 10" cabs is the recently reintroduced S10. A very tiny box. Two of them don't have quite the bass response of my D10B, but they have a sweetness of tone and presence the bigger box can't dupe.

The 18" cabs are very surprising. Both the compact S18 and the huge S18B get deep sounding (the S18B is scary), but both have the most articulate sound i've heard out of an 18". I kid you not when i say you could use the S18B as a standalone cab. The time i heard one i was looking for the 210 bescause it sounded that clear.

man, long post, sorry. :p

anyhow, i generally use an S15 and S12 stack as that's what i've found works best for me.