1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How would you do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassn8tr, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bassn8tr

bassn8tr

Mar 31, 2009
    I want to get a good slap bass tone out of my amp. I want a good funk or punk rock tone. I know it depends on the guitar and head but how should I set my 9 band EQ to attempt to achieve this?

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I use the same EQ for fretless finger style as I do for slap with an LTD. The EMG's work well with the on board EQ set to 1 oclock or so Bass, noon for mids, and around 1 or 1:30 for treble. Good slap bass tone is pretty subjective in and of itself, but my amp settings are bass 11:30, mids 1:30 w/800 hz sweep, and treble noon. Honestly, I think about 90% of it is strings, pickups, and on board EQ before it ever gets to the amp.

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Brand new steel round wound strings are a good start. Nice and snappy. I'm not a slap pro, but that's my 2 cents. :)

4. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Bass: 8
    Treble: 10
    High Mids: 1
    Low Mids: 3

5. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    to me a funk tone & a punk rock tone would be 2 different tones

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :rolleyes: And what exactly do those numbers represent? Are you joking with the poor guy? Is that from zero-ten with five being flat, neither cut nor boost, or is zero the flat no-change number? Or are those "o'clock numbers"?

In all seriousness, you need to know how the EQ controls on your specific amp actually affect the signal. Random numbers as posted above don't mean anything. Does your EQ cut/boost by 6dB, 12dB, 15dB, or what? What are the frequency points? Are there also "high/mid/low" knobs that you're using? What kind of speaker cab are you playing through?

More importantly, it's worth knowing that all the sounds you mention, slap, funk, punk, they all come from your strings and your fingers more than they come from any EQ settings. Sure, EQ helps dial in the tone, but you can make the "worst" EQ shape sound punk or funky if you are playing it right; while having the "best" EQ shape won't help even the tiniest bit if you aren't playing it right.

7. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I play on a Warmoth J-bass with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz p/u's. For lots of stuff, I run it with both full open and the tone backed off a bit for nice big, bold fingerstyle sound and if I want a more punk-ish sound, I'll up my mids a bit with the tone control a little more open.

If I want to slap a little, this layout is fine with the tone opened up enough to let some higher freq snap come through, but I run my eq pretty much flat - my sound can't cut too well if I scoop out the mids too far.

One way that I can get an "on demand" slap tone is with a good ol' Sansamp BDDI on standby. That box seems to have a slap sound built right in and if I have it on the floor in front of my amp, anything from a mild to an extreme slap tone is just a stomp away.

8. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    An EQ pedal might be the answer to this mess. I can't possibly endorse slapping, but if you insist.....

Set your amp's controls to make your "standard" fingerstyle playing sound good, and then set your eq pedal (Boss GEB-7, etc.) to make your slapping sound right, i.e. dipped mids and lower gain since you'll probably be hitting the strings harder.

A good compressor will help too. But, you'll still be slapping, and that brings us back to our first problem......

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'm not sure, but I think most people set the mids a bit lower than they would otherwise for slapping.

You should probably drop the gain a bit since, you know, slapping is striking the strings a lot harder than just finger style (unless of course you beat the hell out of them like Geddy Lee does).

I don't usually really alter my settings since I go to slap usually on a whim in a jam and I don't have time to go fiddle with my amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, that's a great sound for the bedroom. You'll hear nothing on a gig.