Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you do this???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Jun 17, 2003.

1. I really don't like many knobs on a bass. I'm also not crazy about stacked knobs. How would one go about being able to control 7 variables with two knobs? Is there a system where someone could use 2 knobs in conjunction with two 2 or 3 way switches? One switch position allows you to adjust volume with one knob, another position allows you to blend pups with the same knob? Or, independently set bass, mids, treble? Another position allows you to set passive tone?

What do you think?
    Jeff

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    A blend pot and a volume pot are two different things. So, no, those two functions could not be mediated through a switch connected to a single pot.

The other problem is that the preamp has no "memory", so when you flip the switch, the function you were using the pot for (say, treble) goes flat again when you switch to the new one (say, bass). So, even though you have a 3 band EQ, if you go with one knob, you only get one EQ function at a time.

3. Could this be achieved thru a DSP preamp?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I dunno much about DSP preamps, but it sounds like a candidate.

5. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    Instead of having variably control over all the parameters you could just make several different hard wired schemes and then switch between them. With two six-postion rotary <a href=" http://www.futurlec.com/SwRotary.shtml"> switches<a/> you could have 36 different settings.