1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you express these guys' playing style?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wareware, May 18, 2012.

1. wareware

wareware Guest

May 18, 2012
    Hey, I'm new to this forum so first, hi guys:bag:

There's a particular style of bass playing, which I can't find the right words to express!

Two examples from Asian bands:

This is what Wiki says:
    "Tetsuya (the bassist) plays with a melodic style. Many of L'Arc-en-Ciel's songs involve him playing counter melodies with guitarist Ken while still holding a groove with the drums. He frequently uses slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs in his playing."

So to sum it up, he's playing "melodic"?
    A friend of mine expressed it as "walking and dancing around the flet", and I'm sure some bassist might want to call it an "annyoing" way of playing.

Are there any famous bassists you can recall that play this way?

I did try searching for an appropriate name, but I just couldn't:scowl:

Can anyone help?

2. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    That's cool!

It's like electronic inspired - sounds like a game music hack.

3. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    That's a cool band - they look really young too! Really enjoyed watching their music video.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

That is because it is... the first one is the guy playing to a MIDI, the L'Arc En Ciel I've listend to sounds nothing like that.

I actually enjoyed the Dir En Grey too, that is one of my favourite songs by them.

In regards to their style, like you said, melodic.

I also really enjoy Taiji (X Japan's original bassist) that man was crazy on the 4 string. Heath (Taiji's replacement) is good, don't get me wrong, but Taiji was amazing.

5. Well this style sounds an awful lot like 80's alternative/new wave to me. So you might want to look for John Taylor of Duran Duran, or Simon Gallup of The Cure. The 2nd video especially reminded me of John Taylor.

6. wareware

wareware Guest

May 18, 2012
    Hey, thanks for the fast answers guys.
    Really helped:)

I really like their play-style, fun to listen to if you're bassist, but the guitarist may eventually get pissed when you take their job as a melody player:p

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Rip-off-The-Cure style?