Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would you fix up your cheap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Boi, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Bass_Boi

Bass_Boi

Aug 12, 2003
    you know..like adding new pickups..stickers..defretting it..and so on

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd order a new neck for it from Warmoth, then get a new body for the neck. Have Wilkins guitars slap a finish on it, toss in a set of Bartolini pickups, add a BadAss bridge and VOILA! Just like new!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would probably OLP MM3 , put EMG pickup in it, defret it, cover it in black electrical tape (dunno why) put a badass bridge on it of some sor and idk what else.

4. Stickers, they go a long way towards making it your own, specially when they get worn in, finger and arm abrasions.

If its a P style, stick an extra J in the bridge position. If its already got that done stick in a set of better pups, or wind your own even.

If you have a spare fretted, I'd say defret it, otherwise you could blow the fingerboard, leaving you without a decent instrument. Spose you could then get a new neck if that happened...

You could strip the paint back and do your own design, I met a dude that did that with just regular house type paint I think. Yellow with two black checker stripes, looked pretty nice and had the worn in feel cause the paint got worn through easy in places.

Josh D

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Squier P-Special that I put an "Original Precision Bass pickup" into. Haven't bothered to upgrade the jazz pickup since I don't use it much. Also added the ashtrays, so it looks vintage.

6. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    SD Basslines pickups and an active pre. Costs about $200.00. Could really improve your "cheap bass." After that, I would look at a replacement bridge by Gotoh (I am not a fan of the L.Q. badass).

If you have a "Jazz" copy, you could buy a drop in unit pre. EMG also makes nice pickup/pre parts for Jazz instruments.

-Aladdin

7. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    when I get home, I'm gonna draw up some stuff for it. I think I want to cut the wings and most of the body off, turn it into a boat-oar type bass. Today's payday so I can actually afford to do **** to it, hehe.

8. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    neck-dive.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

Import Hamer --Defretted & Epoxied w/Barts aded
    Squier --Headstock sanded, Purple moto Guard and black accessory kit.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd save up for a better bass.

Afer you upgrade the pups, electronics, and bridge, you're into the cost of a better bass anyway, usually. Plus, you rarely if ever make back your investment when you sell a cheap bass with better components............sort of like selling a Kia Rio with fancy wheels and leather seats.

A Rogue is always a Rogue.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

What Munji means is this........buy a new bass!!! He likes to beat around the bush. :);)

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    true, I bought the Hamer with the intent of defretting. The Pickups were fine. I just chanced upon a good deal on a pair of used pickups.

I also knew the bass was mine forever / worthless after the defret.... it's EXACTLY as I intended (I've owned it since 99).

I also plan to buy a Brice Douglas 5 from Rondo. I KNOW what the bass is, and that is why I'm getting one.

(it'll be a matched set of real cheap basses fretted & fretless to bring anywhere my good stuff would not be safe and a perfect set of cheap backups)

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Outside of replacing the hardware (bridge/tuners, etc.), pickups, input jack, wiring, etc., one of the BEST things you can do to improve your bass is to have a professional set-up done. Making sure the nut is cut to the correct height, that the height of the pickups is correct, that ther are no high frets, that the action is comfortable, and that the bass is properly intonated will do a world of good for your playing.

You can spend a ton on tricking out an inexpensive bass, but you'd be much better off spending a little on a full set-up and saving the rest for a higher-quality instrument.

14. didj

didj

Sep 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is what I did to my Kent Slammer Bass that I got for free. (made in Korea).

New tuning gears from Carvin: $30,
    new nut: $8,
    Schaller bridge: $120,
    Lined all cavities with copper: $15.
    Replaced pick-ups: $free.
    (someone gave them to me.)
    New Strap-Locs $???
    (don't remember what that cost)
    New pots $20

As for the set-up, I did that myself.
    I can't really say if it was worth it,
    it was fun doing the work on it and it definately is 'my' bass. I'm comfortable with it and I like the sound but it's probably smarter to just buy a quality instrument to begin with.