Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you get a really defined click with each note?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Any suggestions as to getting a really tight, percussive sound to acompany each note? Almost like a kick drum hit but in pitch to what your playing.

Listen to the bass break in "Beneath the Howling Stars" by Cradle of Filth if you can find an MP3 of it to know what I'm talking about.

I'm clueless as to how to do this without using a sample (which I know was not done for that album).

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How far into the song is the bass break?

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Not really sure as my CD is in the car, but you can't miss it...its the part where everything else in the song stops except the bass, pretty obvious.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Get a Warwick Thumb. Try as I might, I couldn't get rid of that awful clicking.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Okay, I think I found it.

To me, it just sounds like it's being strummed with either fingernails or a pick.

IMO it doesn't really sound how you described it... Maybe I'm listening to the wrong part of the song? :confused:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Probably detuned strings. They will always be a bit clacky.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I know Robin uses a pick, and his bass is dropped 1 whole step. I figured there had to be more to it because it sounds so different from what I've seen elsewhere.

Regardless are there effects that add a really percussive punch to a bass signal?

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you want to exaggerate that sound, one thing might be to use an EQ. Find the frequency of those clicks and boost it. I don't know whether you would need a separate EQ effect pedal (or rack unit) or whether the controls on your amp and/or instrument would do it.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm... moderate to heavy compression, maybe?

10. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I would put the bass and treble all the way up .. then play with the mids. Because I think if you really like that click sound then put the hi mids all the way up near 3.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    pump ur tweeter and high end

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Heres a recipe for click...

Flatwound strings, played with a pick, tone wide open, if you compress back off the attack a few (5-10) milliseconds. Single coil pickup preferable. You might play around with bridge muting too.

14. i can get a good click with the noise gate on my nightbass SE, i believe it is just set to really high...

15. If you are looking to get a click on the bass it is actually quite easy. If you are using a p bass type of a bass it is the easiest. tap the tring against the pick up. these pick ups go crazy tapping. Try tapping your strings over the pick up. or do some muting with the left hand while playing with the right.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The cat's out of the bag! Metalguy2 is FIELDY! :cool:

p.s. This is the first (and last) time I've ever used a smilie. My daughter is standing here and asked me to put one in.

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You get a lot of clank with detuning. In one band we tune to Drop-C and if I pluck just right with my fingers I can get a nice clank on the break downs that cut through nicely.

In my other band I play in standard/Drop-D so I don't get any clanking usually

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll mess around and see what I can get out of my rig.

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

+1, Low action and using a bit more downstroke and force that gives the string a bit of bounce (kind of like slapping but not with your thumb) will give you a lot of clack (click) on the strings. I do it unintentionally when digging in with fast eighth notes.

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea I have that same problem, but when I'm in Drop-C it's a little hard not to. I'm getting better at not doing it though. I haven't gotten as bad as Fieldy though :D