Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you get this tone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by k2aggie07, Jan 3, 2014.

1. k2aggie07

k2aggie07

Jul 6, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm terrible at guessing pickups and tones... but I would hazard a guess that this is a p-bass recorded straight into the deck with some EQ'ing and perhaps a little compression.

Whitey - Stay on the outside

How would you achieve this recording tone?

2. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    It sounds like he might be using a sansamp and playing with a pick. P bass with tone knob all the way on, and a bit of dirt dialled in on the sansamp.

3. Kbone_ATL

Kbone_ATL

Sep 12, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I can get this almost exact tone with my Schecter with 2 EMG's with the bass almost 100% turned down... Going through a GK 700 RB with 4x10 NEO.

I'm willing to bet a Sansamp could get that natively but it's missing a lot of low end IMO.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Assuming you're talking about the main riff throughout the song...Ric 4003, SS rounds, low action, played with a pick. I'm still not 100% convinced it's bass, but rather a downtuned guitar.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Baritone Guitar or Fender Bass VI.

Or a bass with slinky light guage round wound strings, low action, played with a pick, and some dirt, or distiotion added.