1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Would You Get Up To Speed Quickly: Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasper383, Aug 3, 2012.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have agreed to play in a fantasy baseball league this coming spring. It's a league I used to play in, with a bunch of old college friends.

Problem is, I haven't followed baseball much in more than ten years. The players I know well are now in their late 30s, and are on the way out. I know maybe 10% of the players.

How would you go about quickly getting up to speed with something like this?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Easy, fantasize!

3. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I follow baseball, teams more so than individuals, but I'd suggest just watching some baseball and looking for stats and league rankings in certain stats. Oh, and pick as many Yankees as possible. ;) Good luck.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh, Topps might be able to help!

They still make baseball cards, dont they?

5. Draft Josh Hamilton. Nuff said.

lowsound

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't pick Ichiro. He isn't as good as you remember him.

-Mike

7. Definitely

Definitely Banned

That's very true, luckily the Yankees only gave up prospects for him. He's not bad, just not one of the greats anymore.

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Yup, him and Prince and your offense is golden.

9. Bill James is a good place to start.

It really depends on your league's scoring system, if OBP is valued over BA your most valuable players will be guys like Pena, and Dunn, even moreso if HRs are big.

If your league scores FIP or xFIP or other advanced pitching metrics your going to have to learn to ignore ERA, which you should learn to do regardless. If SO are important get guys like Greinke, Hernandez, Verlander, and Dickey. Also since you're starting so late avoid young pitching phenoms like Strasburg and Sale as they're inning count will come into play soon. Try to get under the radar guys whose ERA will scare off other members.

Check out who's leading the each league in WAR if you want some sort of top players list.

Sleepers- Matt Harrison, Kuroda, Vogelsong, Encarnacion, Willingham, Choo, Santana, Joyce, Zobrist (his BA will scare people off, but he's the most valuable .244 hitter in the league), Kubel.

Ok, so not so much sleepers as great players that aren't big names.

I could help out more with more information especially knowing whether it's a draft or auction league.

EDIT: Look for super utility (guys that can play a number of positions) guys as well. Zobrist became a huge hit in fantasy circles awhile ago because he could log ABs for SS, 2nd, 3rd, and RF.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I don't know fantasy baseball so I can't be of much help.

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Do not pick any Astros

12. While I agree in essence being from Galveston, Altuve is having a great year.

13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Your right, I was joking.

I am a life long, and die hard Stros fan. They have never been this bad, but the good news is they cant get much worse.

14. Finally having an owner willing to do it the right way is great. The farm was in shambles and now it's not looking to bad. It'll be a long road but I believe in the FO to build it up the right way.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes as he batted .167 for all of July...

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    By FB standards, Prince has not even come close to performing to where his average draft position was. Put many of those together and you have a losing team.

When I draft, I tend to stay away from even the slightest risk in the early rounds, especially at a talent rich position like first base.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    They are trying to rebuild what Tim Purpura destroyed. They were a play off team year in and year out when Gerry Hunsicker was the GM.

I absolutely hate the fact that Bud Selig made moving to the AL a stipulation for Crane to buy the team. I'm not a fan of Selig in general really. But I guess Ill have to get over it.

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

True I guess, I was going for power hitting more than fielding ability, but I get what you're saying. In terms of fielding and hitting balance I like Mark Teixeira. Of course, being a Yankee helps :).

19. I blame Ed Wade, why no one stopped him (gosh, how many great players did he give the Phillies) I'll never know.

Agreed, Brewers should have to move. Astros have been in the NL for more than 40 years. But Selig would never move his Brewers.

20. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm guilty some for reaching for players who are on my favorite team...but that makes it a little more fun!