How would you go about getting this tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Sep 6, 2012.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA

The song is Secret Society by Title Fight, I know their bassist uses a Sunn 2000s into a Heritage 810 and another head (I can't tell what it is) through another Heritage 810 live with P-Basses. That said, this sounds a lot different than his live tone. So, any help TB?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    An SVT plus 810 will do this. I like the 2000s a lot, it had a pretty significant amount of low end for it's day—but i don't hear that in this clip. This is a big tone, mildly over-driven, low mid rich, with a high mid bump. I suspect the cab is the key.

3. Pick, P-Bass, Fuzz/overdrive with the top end rolled off (or maybe flatwounds)

4. In the intro it sounds like he is playing power chords to me. The rest sounds like just a typical tube amp overdrive. Kinda hard to get that with a pedal. Your best go with pedals would be a Sansame bass driver or an VTbass. Totally doable with one of those two, won't be 100% on but can get pretty close.

5. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I already have an all tube amp and an 810, the issue is the Fender tone stack I'm thinking (I have a '78 bassman 100)

6. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Bump for more advice

7. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    Sounds like the bass is tuned down to "B" as well, which will alter the perceived tone quite a bit.

8. My old band played with them a few times. I can't get the video to load on my phone, but he also used to use a music man and I believe and old V4. That's all I got.

9. CaptainGrog

CaptainGrog

Jun 24, 2011
    I spoke to Ned last night at their show in Brick NJ when he was packing up. He actually had a Musicman SUB bass and he said the neck eventually got messed up, so he now uses his Fender P Bass. He also uses a Marshall(dont know the exact model) head into an Ampeg 8x10.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    2-10-2. This often clears up most issues with the Fender tone stack not giving you enough midrange.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022