Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you handle it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcollin, Jan 25, 2006.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Had some new pick ups installed on my Fender recently at a "trusted" guitar shop. When I picked up my bass I noticed a significant scratch on the back of the neck. It's about an inch long and you can't help but feel it when you play. I pointed it out to the repair guy and he said he didn't know anything about it. IT WAS NOT THERE WHEN I DROPPED IT OFF FOR SERVICE! I asked to talk to the manager but he was no help. It was like my word against his employee. Since it really doesn't affect the playability of the bass, they both felt it was no big deal. They even suggested a light sanding to smooth it out. Gee Thanks! Needless to say I'm taking my business elsewhere in the future.

2. If that happened to me, I'd look for a new "trusted" place.

Or do it all myself. None of it is too difficult, if you have the time to learn.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

well ,
    after i removed the sharp stick from the repaiman's eye ,
    and my boot from the managers' rear end ,
    i'd be thinking about how this was supposed to be a "trusted"
    guitar shop ...:meh:

actually , there's a pretty neat article in the January '06 issue of
    Bass Player Magazine {"BassTech" pg.62} about repairing a chip
    or scratch using Super Glue and some sand paper ...
    it's worth a quick read , and
    you might be able to take care of the scratch yourself .

good luck ,
    dave

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Anyone here who is considering turning their guitar over to a 'techie' to do the work should do so. Just follow these steps:

When you take your instrument into the shop, take it out of the case and confirm with who ever does the paperwork the serial number, style and CONDITION of the instrument being worked on at the time of order. It will cover the owner, and puts the shop on notice that there IS A RECORD of the condition upon arrival.

We do this all the time in the real estate business in a procedure called a "walk thru" for the Buyer prior to closing on a home. Renters fill out a "condition manifest" prior to signing a lease to highlight any damage to the property that occured brfore they take possesion.

Covers everyone's hind end.

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC

I would go so far as to take pictures too. Of course, we've now entered the "not-so-trusted-shop" zone.