Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you have rated yourself after your first year?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikey96, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Well two months more for me and I will be celebrating my one year Bass anniversary, had a cup of coffee with guitar before so I was not totally starting from scratch.

I have really been working at my rhythm which is getting better, however it is still a weakness, albeit less of one. I can also improve in my transition of playing standing up I am slightly better when I sit down so I have been working on playing standing up a lot more. My fingers are quite fast and getting worked in well, and my picking speed is up to snuff for the amount I have been playing for so no quams there. My ear is also getting better but not at the level where I would like it to be.

Anyway what I was interested in is where all of you were around your first year, if your still there what are your weaknesses, and do u feel you have lots of room to improve would u be comfortable jamming in a band? And for the more experienced players, what was your skill level after your first year, I just want to see if I am at least holding my own and not far behind for the amount I have been playing, thanks!

2. Hmmm...
    how far have I progressed after 1 year of playing?

Actually, before I start, I'd like to just make a little suggestion about playing standing up. :D
    If you feel like you're having problems playing standing up, think about what it could be. Is the bass too low for comfort? Are you not used to having a freely hanging, 10lb chunk of wood, metal & electronics hanging off your shoulder?
    Personally, I play standing up a lot more than sitting down, and only really sit down to play when I'm beginning to learn a new song. If I'm writing my own stuff, then I stand up and play it. This is because my bass hangs lower when I stand & play than when I sit & play, so I wanna make sure I can stand up and play everything. I know that if I can play it standing, then I can play it sitting.

Ok, as for how far I've progressed acter 1 year...
    I noticed that my rhythm was already pretty good from playing piano & guitar beforehand, so that was never TOO big of a problem. ;)
    I've noticed that my left hand dexterity GREATLY improved over the first year of playing, even though I almost never played any songs that required quick hammer ons/pull offs, and rarely ever played fast, complicated lines that required a lot of moving around the fingerboard. :)
    Also, my ear developed very well since I started. When I first started...well, on guitar, really, but I think it's still kinda relevant. :p When I first started playing I couldn't tune my guitar or bass to save my life, I always had to ask my teacher or my brother to help me check if I was in tune. Now, I can tune my bass in no time. I can also usually tune my bass if it's been freshly restrung or something, and get it within a full step of the note it should be, so when tuning up I'd get my E somewhere between an Eb and F.

Dang...that was long. I hope I didn't miss anything. :)

3. Damn good... :D :rolleyes:

After a year i just tried to become good at the songs i set out to play. I cannot say i was good at this or good at that, because one can always improve with more experience, thats why i always play the songs i learnt in my first year, always try to find a bit more about them.

I think that is why i am trying to compose and only after 4 yrs of playing, and have become heavily involved in the theory and technical side of classical music. Bass to me is a constant learning experience whereby we graduate not by our abilities but by our respect for what we and others play.

Merls

4. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    At the close of my first year I had learned a bunch of all my favourite bands songs, strictly heavy metal and punk at the time. Basically it was a year of ear training, though at the time I didn't realize that was what I was really doing. I didn't touch on any aspects of music theory until a couple years later.

5. I still have 4 months to go for my full year of bass playing. How far have I advanced? I get compliments from the bassist of one of Holland's leading death metal bands..

6. well, after about 6 months of playing bass i joined a band, after 7 months I had played a gig and our band nearly won a battle of the bands competition.

um, but i still think im not all that great.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    after i had been playing a year, i thought i was hot sh!t.

boy was i wrong. :D

8. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I think I was learning breeders covers :) A word of advice .. learn to play finger style too.. I played my first 5 years with a pick .. I like finger style way better now. I still use a pick when it's called for though.

9. i've only been playing for six months and i've been asked to be in four bands but joined none. the one thing that has been my weakness so far is combination of lack of time and willingness to sit down and teach myself to read music which everyone is telling me that you have to do.

10. What about your slapping techniques after a year? I'm going to hit my 1 year mark within a couple of weeks, and my slapping sucks, but all of my other techniques are pretty decent... I didn't have many problems learning 'Tom Sawyer' (Rush, but you knew that already) or '46 & 2' (Tool), so I think I'm progressing nicely... however there's still a looooooooooong way to go. But then again, there always is. :)

11. Whats changed! hehehehehee :D :p

back to my cage ok ok ok i'm going!

Merls

12. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001

Yup, me too John. I was a master in my own little world, until a real bassist showed up and started jamming at the practice space me and some friends had rented. An incredibly humbling experience. Though at the time I justified it by assuring myself that guy was just a show off. :D

13. After one year i was a wanna be fieldy.
    Now after two years i'm a wanna be rhyano.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played for a year, and thought I was the worst bassist on the planet. I really didn't get any confidence or pride untill I joined Talkbass. Actually, I've progressed father in the past few monthes then in the whole first year of my bassage..

15. Hmmm...my first year of bassage was spent here, save for the first 2 months that I spent scouring the net to find tabs for the songs my band wanted to play... :D:p

16. My first year of bass was my 10th year of music education or so, but nothing made much sense until playing bass put it all together for me. After one year of bass, I had the basic idea. After two or three years of bass, I understood harmony. After seven years of bass, I understood rhythm. That was pretty much it, except after about ten years of bass I woke up one day and could slap without sucking. Very odd. Maybe in another few years of zen-like non-practice I'll be able to do that double-thumping thing.

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Me too... if I've learned nothing else since then, I've learnt humility.

18. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I sucked. Severely.

I didn't put the time into the instrument at that point; I was 15, playing in a "band" that hadn't fully formed yet - just me, my guitarist and my keyboard player. The guitarist and I started playing at the same time; he was taking lessons and improving in leaps and bounds. I was goofing around, playing the roots in first position.

I have to honestly say that I didn't get a whole lot better for another 3 years. It wasn't until I started playing in a prog-metal band (same guitarist) that I started exploring further up the neck and really started getting off that plateau.

That was about 15 years ago. And I feel much more confident in my playing now, and I'm still with the same guitarist and keyboard player!

19. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    When I started out I wanted to be Twiggy from Manson. My one year mark was in April, and now I want to be Les Claypool. But to answer the question, I'm... OK. Technique wise, I'm pretty good. I'm more of a guy who plays bass than a bassist, not a TRUE musician. What can I say... I use tabs (*Screams DON'T LOOK AT ME, I'M HIDEOUS!!*). I need to learn more about music instead of just going, "WHOO I LEARNED A NEW PRIMUS SONG! YEAH!".

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    After one year of playing, although I seemed to be learning the songs, I still felt as if I was wandering in a fog. I would guess that it took me about 8 years to feel comfortable with my playing. After 30 years, I still rate myself as a hacker. I know a few things, but I'm very conscious of my limitations. Oh, and for you youngsters, just wait until you start feeling the pain in your hands from playing. This is a new revelation to me, and one I don't particularly enjoy.