Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you play this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 25, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Salvador "Sal" Cuevas is one of the biggest names in Salsa world, a top class bassist who has influenced people like Lincoln Goines. He plays Salsa basslines with great taste, tone and authority and they're not difficult to duplicate (at least the notes), but there's something in his style that I don't know how to play. He has a "signature lick", a two (or three?)-note glissando that doesn't seem difficult to play, but there's something that makes it so distinctive and I can't figure what is it. The bass' tone plays a big role in that, but I think it's not the only factor involved. The attached zip has two examples for you to hear and give me some input on how would you play that glissando if you're trying to imitate Sal's style.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd listen to that but...downloading an unknown zip file screams computer virus to me.

Maybe you could pick another format to post?

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm willing to, but unfortunately the only valid file extensions for uploading are bmp, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, png, psd, txt, xls and zip. Anyway, if you have an updated antivirus (I recommend Grisoft's AVG - it's free) you can scan the file before opening it (and I swear it's completely virus-free). Thank you for your interest! :)

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Salvador Cuevas plays fretless on both samples.
    This should ease your understanding of what you're asking...the glissando's are not as hard to imitate as you think.
    In the first example,the bass' notes,as a fundament for the brass section,are Es,Des and Ces,the last note is played surely on A string and goes upwards.The trick seems to be a variable speed motion of the left hand when he plays that glissando:he strucks the Ces but immediately his left hand moves upward in a slower motion,wich remains at the same speed as he begun it 'till the top note.
    On the second example,he plays the B note on A string,as a fundamental of the B7 chord of the band.Here,the bass' stuff is a little different because he plays well-definet the fundamental (the low B) and then adds a minor seventh by barring with the first finger the G string (note A).The speed motion is again uniform from down to up.The point is that the glissed seventh (the A note) becomes louder than the glissed fundamental of that chord,meaning that he presses differently the two strings with his left hand (he gradually releases the pressure on the A string and puts more pressure on the G.
    As a comparison,you could listen to Pastorius' different glissando approach (equal double-stops and variable motion speed).
    HTH,