Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you play this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kristopher, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    [​IMG]

How would you play the B major arpeggio in measure two considering what you're switching to in measure three? Would you use pinky (B) ring (D#) index (F#) OR middle (B) index (D#) pinky (F#)?

This is the main riff of the verse that loops a few times, and sometimes we play it a little fast (170+ bpm?). Playing it the second way is easier for me, but I tend to hammer-on the F# with my pinky. The first way has more articulation but is physically harder when switching to the next riff.

How would you do it?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Normally I try to avoid open strings, but for fast stuff like this, they prove to be very useful. I'd play the B major arpeggio starting on the E string, 7th fret with my middle finger (second way) and they play the open A alternating it with the D on the A string, 5th fret, played with my index. Anyway, barring the A and D notes on the 5th fret with the index (the way of playing measures 3 and 4 without open strings) isn't that difficult. My point is: I'd hardly think of playing this riff the first way. If the problem with option #2 is hammering the F# with your pinky, it can be solved easily by working on it with your metronome at a slow tempo and then speeding it up as you gradually start feeling comfortable.

Hope this helps.

3. Not that my credentials on bass match Alvaro's, but ditto, or +1.

4. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I didn't even think of using open strings for the second two measures. Cool, now I have more ammo to work with, so to speak. Thanks!

5. seequeue

seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    are you sure it's 170 bpm?
    i had little trouble playing that at a significantly faster tempo with both patterns you described
    my suggestion would be to learn how to do it both ways. Both of the ways you described are fairly common arpeggio patterns, so the more quickly you become proficient at those fingerings, the more easily you will be able to adapt with other pieces of music as well. I would personally use the first riff if I was going for speed and efficiency (if I was using this as a practice excersize for example), but for comfortable playing, I'd definitely use the second one (in a gig situation or something). Still, it's definitely doable with both, and it's best to learn it both ways

oh and definitely practice it without the hammer-on

6. Andy3825

Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    middle finger for the B (7th fret), index for the D# (6th fret), pinky for the F# (9th fret), then just bar the A and D with your ring finger (5th fret)...it shouldnt be too hard

7. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Yeah, it's 170 bpm as far as I know. I'm just not that good of a bassist yet. :)

I've been practicing and I'm pretty sure I got it. Second finger on the B, no hammer-on. :cool:

Thanks to all who played my bass riff and replied. :hyper:

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I think I'd play the BMaj Apreggio starting with my middle finger on the B on the A string, then play open A string and perhaps fret the D with my pinky on the A string, or use the open D - depends on the speed tempo and *ahem* how accurate I can play it !! :D

Or, I'd go with Alvaro's pinky on the B on the E string for the BMaj arpeggio, then fret the A on the E string and the D on the A string with my index and middle finger, or maybe bar those two notes with my index finger?

It's really difficult to figure this kinda stuff out without may bass in front of me actually! :) I'll try it out and see what happens

I guess I'd work on whichever position which ever one gave me the tone I wanted for the part.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd probably play it one way for a few weeks and then, fooling around while practising, discover an alternative approach that gave it a preferable articulation!

That doesn't help much but I don't have a bass to hand to try out some alternatives. However, I know that I've often got into one way of playing something and then, some time later, discovered an alternative I prefer, either by accident or on purpose.

That might even mean changing one or two of the notes - in my present band, I've got plenty of room for experimentation. Whatever you end up with, I'd certainly agree with the advice of working on it nice and slow for a while - both in time (use a metronome) and just playing the notes out of time but in sequence as you think about each individual transition.

Wulf

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i'd play it the 2nd way, and use the open A string with a fretted D.. I generally prefer the extra definition you get by playing below the 5th fret

there's no way i'd choose by default an A on the E string... the open A is one of the nicest sounding notes on my basses :)

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

:confused: I didn't suggest that. It's exactly what I said I wouldn't do (typo? "pinky" instead of "middle"?). :confused:

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've given it a quick try. Having tried a few things, I've settled on starting with my second finger on the seventh fret of the B string, playing the D# and F# at the sixth and ninth frets of the A string.

At the end of the second bar I shifted my second finger down to the fifth fret to sound the A, fretting the D on the next string with my third finger. The second finger is my anchor, playing the central note in each position; there's just a simple two fret shift every couple of bars.

Wulf

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Oh right! :D Heh, sorry, either I miss read or it was typo like you said.

Anyway, having tried it out, I found it playable starting with either middle finger or pinky on the B on the E string, then open or fretted A, or middle finger on the B on the A string and open A.. actually I didnt find it too hard to play in any position.. BUT not at 170 bpm!!

I have to say that's bloody fast for this groove, it didnt feel natural to me at that tempo.. it felt nice at a moderate funk/soul tempo, around 90bpm to me. That groove wasn't meant to be played that fast by me at least! ;)

14. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Maybe I got the bpm wrong. :p Normally we play it slower anyway. Just sometimes our live shows can get out of hand!

The song itself can be heard at the link on my sig. Please excuse the low levels of bass on the recordings, it was done on a cassette 4-track with the drums and bass going to tape on the same track with the levels not favoring me at that particular moment.

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well, the version on myspace is about 110bpm... based on that it's "a bit less than two beats per second".. if you took that to 170 it'd be propely out of hand! :D

16. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    :D