1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you pull off this bass line live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Hey all,

There's been an awful lot of dubstep talk here the last couple of months, mostly focused on the wobble. There are a variety of existing ways to get different wobble sounds and a couple of dubstep-oriented lpfs are being designed by Iron Ether and Copilot FX.

That said, a lot of dubstep has way more than just wobble. Case in point, UKF's dubstep tutorial. This example has a handful of wobble/synth tones which alternate for the main riff. Especially near the end, the tones vary quickly and with stutter/glitch sounds tossed in.

How would you play that live?

-Alex

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's certainly possible with some advanced MIDI- setting different CC points to alter the sweep's sound or function could make it plausible. That would only be plausible if you were running your bass through a set of software plugins though. I doubt there's any combination of existing pedals that would make it easy to both get those sounds with expression control AND toggle through them that quickly.

3. very interesting, my guess is you would need a lot of money.

4. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    u need a talent pedal

5. you need to program some midi stuff for that.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Just remembered I have a Kaoss Pad. I talked to my local dj store (MC Audio in Madison WI) and they're going to help me test out whether or not I can use a midi controller with the KP3 to get the sounds I want.

Best customer support evah! Also, they said they'd help me out even if I hadn't bought the KP3 from them -- they just wanna support local musicians!

If this works out I'll pick up a Behringer midi floor unit. Will update to this thread.

To get back on track, has anyone been able to pull it off with any multi fx boxes? Looks like the line 6 M13/9 might be able to do it if you can find a good filter setting. Thoughts?

7. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I can get pretty close to that, albeit not quite as complicated.

I use a variety of fuzzes for differing textures of grit. But for something like that I'd use OC-2 into either the Orbit or WMD into my LPF with the envelope on. Control the wobble speed with beat matched LFO's on the MP-201 via the exp pedal. Differing the LFO's up with the exp mixed with the differing amounts of "high fizziness" by how hard I pluck gets me pretty close.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Neato. How much tap dancing are you having to do? Is it all pretty well synced up with your MP-201?

Also, my singer just found this. Looks like a Roland V-Bass, but I can't see the floor at all.

9. autopilot

autopilot

Apr 25, 2007
    from the video posted, i think the best thing it will be a sequencer controlling the speed of the lfo modulating the filter, manually triggered, sync it to a drum machine, because with the pitch tracking it will has the consistency but you're limited to the notes you're playing . The funny thing is that the orginal gyroscope was kinda like that, a 3 step sequencer modulating a modulated filter (sorry the video is with a guitar)

I'm borrowing a bass next week so i can get back to work on the project

10. antelopeboy

antelopeboy

Oct 8, 2008
    i used to do some dubstep with my last band, its tough to get the same tones but you can get some really interesting stuff going with an SYB-5 with an expression pedal to modulate the LFO rate, a Boss Heavy Metal, EHX Pulsar, and an octave pedal (i have a Arion MOC-1, its really glitchy and perfect for this stuff)

Obviously your not going to get the exact same sound but you can def do some cool stuff

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Square wave -> some sort of modulating filter (filtershaper vst plugin works well) gives a pretty good approximation. I assume you could find a square waver and a filter with CV that you could then modulate with an advanced sequencer. Square waves allow you to filter out to all different textures and fizzyness,

12. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    similar to my setup , except im still "struggling";) with a CP251 and only two feet :ninja:

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I heard if you play a hofner with your fingers that's what it sounds like.

14. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    OK. Dont hurt me, I never heard of dubstep before, but I had to say something. The post title peaked my curiosity and I am stunned. I didnt know people did this with their basses. I'm a garage rock metal head dinosaur who over the years has amassed a sizable collection of odd and of kilter effects and make very similar noises. Every guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer I know plays classic rock or country western...save me! I feel like I'm suddenly able to see a new color! Where there was no place for what I do in my circle of friends I see a whole new world for me. I haven't been this excited about my playing in 15 years! Sorry for the long post but I'm bursting at the seams and I cant express how excited I am to any one I know in person who would understand.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    While the bass in the original post was produced by computer plugins, people do make very similar stuff with just their basses and effect pedals. Check out the band Nerve- their bassist John Davis posts here regularly. You can find a bunch of clips of them on YouTube- John does amazing dubstep/modular synth-sounding lines with his basses and a relatively small number of effects. Here's a clip of them working out some recordings in the studio:

16. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    good call ;) John Davis is an inspiration !

17. Could one use an EHX Ring Thing with input modulation coming from an Ipod with the 99 cent "Oscillator" application?

18. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Exactly. Everyone that's posted on TB for at least a year knows that tone is in the fingers.;)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021