1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you rate your playing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Mar 27, 2015.

1. a hobbyist. I don't plan on getting better...

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. an amateur. I'm working on getting betting.

60 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. advance amateur. I can hold my own in most settings.

80 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. the pentatonic champion. I can play, but most of what I do is pentatonics.

26 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. advanced. Modes, Pentatonics, Arpeggios, Chromatics... all second nature.

43 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    We tend to talk a lot about gear, some people talk about gigs... I'm just curious as to where most of you consider yourselves in terms of musicianship.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Based on the above criteria, I really don't know where I'd put myself. In terms of technical ability, I'm still digesting modes as I never paid that much attention to them, so I guess I'd put myself more at the Pentatonic Champion.

Problem is, that says absolutely NOTHING about my playing as a whole.

TyBo, Honorac, JayJayEsse and 5 others like this.
  3. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I agree... I am a fretboard ninja, but I haven't studied technique or groove yet. It's kind of funny...

4. I've been playing for a long time - but I'm studying and working on improving.

I've played over 1500 paid gigs, but I am not gigging presently.

I can hold my own in rock, blues, reggae, ska music, but not jazz yet.

I work on aspects of soloing every day, but I don't use pentatonics all that much.

Arpeggios, chord tones, chromatics, and guide tones yes, modes not so much.

Another question to assess one's skill level might be what's your most recent gig or performance.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Bunk McNulty and Acoustic356 like this.
  5. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Excellent to above average.

DwaynieAD and s2bs2 like this.
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i am an excellent 4/4 root note banger. DunDunDunDun, DunDunDunDun, etc.
    all night, baby! :wacky:

7. I'm the best there ever was (at my current living address).

8. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Didn't see the appropriate category for me (semi-advanced hack) so I went with amateur.

Pilson_fan, cheechi, paparoof and 6 others like this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This is the one time in my life I would consider myself advanced... I like this list.

For the record, if "room for improvement" was on the list, I probably would've picked that. I do not think I will ever be good enough that I never think about taking more lessons...

hintz and pacojas like this.
  10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    definitely advanced.

I love to study music and learn many songs.

I can apply what I know to the situation at hand.
    I am most interested in the way I execute things. I am constantly working on a smooth delivery and the best phrase for a given moment.
    I am never happy with where I am ; there is always room for improvement.

Rabidrasbora, mattj1stc and pacojas like this.
  11. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'm in my second year of playing and have been in lessons a year.
    I have played in three bands (mostly just the same people with different musical directions).
    If you give me time I can learn most things, but it could take a while.
    I am trying very hard to learn theory, studying daily, but it's a hard battle.
    I would rate myself as a little better than ok, but that's definitely not enough for me.

12. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    "A hobbyist...I dont plan on getting better"... Why should this be the case ? ?? I know lots of people who play an instrument as a hobby, and at the same time, are serious about being as good as they can be.

As for myself...I did not vote because I rarely think about how good, bad or otherwise, that I am. I am one of the above hobbyists who, while taking his learning seriously.... just loves to play. :cool:

13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I have issues with the spectrum of the poll, it's not very comprehensive.

I would rate myself "Competent - I can play the material"

14. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm a serious threat on drums and percussion. After four years of serious study as a bassist I still consider myself an amateur. I play with some great bassists, so I hold myself to a very high standard. I work on my bass playing every day, so if improvement counts I'm doing good.

Dug2 likes this.
  15. Abull78

Abull78

Mar 9, 2015
    I was watching a Billy Sheehan video last night. One of the things he said that struck me as true was that no matter you current technical level, the most important thing is you level of artistry. Make the music you want, what you have in your head and technique will naturally follow. The point being, play your ass off. I think the OP's intention for the thread was a good idea but also agree with the responses that voting criteria won't accurately categorize musicianship. I still have to look at a fretboard for a second and count frets to tell you a note what note I may be playing at a given time but, I can also run 3 fingers on my right hand fast as hell. I can beat a pocket around a room fast or slow but would have think a minute if I was asked to tell someone what notes are contained in specific chords or what the differences are in minors and majors.

16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It is hard to say. When I go online and look at bass reviews or covers I feel like the worst player in the world. There are 16 year old knocking crazy hard stuff out of the park. Then I go to local shows and watch the other bass players and start feeling pretty good about myself.
    I'm not a crazy technique wizard, but I know enough theory and have enough experience to be dangerous. I think I'm solid with an ear for opportunities for the bass to be more than just thing hiding behind the guitar. I'm not as good as the guys I like, but better than some of the guys I've come across while gigging.

Dug2, Plectrum72 and Abull78 like this.
  17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    "Modes, Pentatonics, Arpeggios, Chromatics"

I don't know what those words mean, but I can play the bass.

(But aren't arpeggios for guitarists?)

18. I feel like I've proven myself in most rock/blues/rockabilly/PW situations. Some on short notice with little or no rehearsal time. So I'd say advanced amateur. I like pentatonics so I do that because I like the sound not 'cause it's all I can do. I do find in the genres straight major, straight minor and pentatonic major and minor with some passing tones and lead in notes covers 95% of the ground needed. The leap to jazz for me would be the big one. I could not hold my own improvising in that environment at all, whole new ballgame there.

19. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    That's a tough one. Physically, I would consider myself fairly advanced, mostly only upstaged by pros (as far as metal goes). When it comes to theory, and writing and the like, I'm definitely an amatuer. I'd love to learn all of that, but I haven't been able to make it click yet.

20. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That poll doesn't actually address a broad section of the musicianship spectrum. ;)

bass_case and Fuzzbass like this.