1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you respond to this offer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Jun 12, 2012.

1. So I posted a CL ad for some bass gear I am selling (type not relevant here) and this is literally, copy and pasted, a response I get. How would you respond, I realize no response is probably the best but say you wanted to have some fun with it...

BTW the item I posted, I am asking 300 bucks for (after lots of research is a fair deal, I think, I also said reasonable offers considered)

Here's what some brain surgeon replied with...

"I offer 180.
    gas to reach five bucks in july. that is cutting prices on things.
    text is ok
    ian 707-***-****
    things selling cheap cause of summer, gas , recession, unemployment
    vehicles going 60% below book."

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    "300 bucks little man, put that money in my hand. if you don't then you know you'll owe me owe me owe!"

3. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you are in America then it is probably a scam. They will have some excuse not to talk on the phone, have a weird email address, and insist on PayPal so they can dispute and withdraw. I always have to weed through those. That is why I give instructions on how to contact me. I always look for bad grammar too.

4. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    You could behave nicely and say something like "no thanks, too low in my book."

I wouldn't respond like you did, so keep doing what you're doing and wait for another offer.

What more is there to say?

5. I just dont reply , i also list firm when i post on craigs-i hate haggling with people so i post as low as i wanna go

6. I know, I just feel like the arrogance deserves a little rebuttal...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want to rebut a spambot? If you respond, they'll have your email. You don't want that.

8. Here's how I'd reply:

Dude, you are so right, times are tough and prices are high. I should have thought about that when I set the price. I'll make you a special deal - $350. Offer me anything less and it's no longer available to you. Still for sale to the rest of the world for $300 though.

Look at the bright side, you're not getting these - posted in response to a late 60's Ford styled steel wheel advertised on Craigslist:

From: Laquanda Fish <rosariawg3591@yahoo.com> [Add to Address Book]
    To: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re:Re: Late 60's Ford Styled Steel wheel - $20 (Semmes)
    Date: Jun 8, 2012 9:41 AM
    Attachments: b.jpg
    Hi there, is your stuff still available? I don't normally do this but you seemed lovely in your post and I'm intrigued by you. I live nearby and up for anything. My only worry is that you might be a phony as CL is filled with them. So if you're indeed real, can we chat on my profile page? It's the safest way and extremely discreet. I'll message you as soon as I see you sign in! ;)

Only you'll be able to check out my pix and cell # on there so if you like what you see, get in touch with me. Sorry to annoy you...life is too short so I had to give this a shot. I think you'll be astonished, see ya!

www lonelynitesv .com

9. Yes. Price is equal 75 gallon of gas. Price now $300. Price in July $375. Thanks.

10. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    ++1 on Jim's two cents. Funny but soooo true. I do agree though that it could be spam bot so no reply and flag is best.

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He's just assuming you're as dumb as you assume that he is, if you catch my drift. If you were desperate for cash you'd take his offer, but you're not. I've thrown people unlikely lowball offers and got a call back in a week when they needed cash NOW and got awesome steals on CL. "You're bringing cash with you, right? Yeah cash, not a check, cash. Yup, cash." Of course that sounds a bit shady on its own, so I'm usually packing when I go for those meetups ;)

Kind of funny story from my non-native co-worker, one his non-native friends who had just moved to America responded to a CL ad for a BRAND NEW iPhone and iPad (whatever the newest ones were at the time) and for a steal of a price. They get in phone contact, the "seller" coordinates a meeting spot DOWNTOWN at 10PM, and specifies that he should come alone to "not overcomplicate things". Guy actually goes downtown at 10pm, meets two 13 year olds with a stolen iPad and iPhone, who proceed to take his money and run in the other direction.

You're all probably rolling your eyes, but this guy wasn't culturally aware of how things work around here... I think alot of the "bogus" CL responses may truly just be unfortunately ignorant people.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My reply: I'll take $300 cash or money order. Let me know if you're still interested! Thanks.

13. I wouldn't even bother with a reply. When I get crazy low ball offers on CL I just delete them without replying.

14. Most scam emails or texts I have received never seemed to include an actual phone number. The email addresses and names never seemed to match either. This may be a legit response, however is obviously not what you are looking for. I would either respond with a "thanks for the offer, but I am going to pass" type of response or if you are worried it may be a phishing email or text then just don't respond at all and they should hopefully get the hint. Interesting facts they presented though, wonder what is sources were.

15. Well I doubt it's a spambot, it does look shady but here's why I think it's real:

The lowball offer. Spambot emails offer to buy your item at full price without ever seeing it. Even offering to give you more so that you can pay the difference for them to a 3rd party shipper (super bogus). This greatly increases the chances that you'll get suckered into dealing with them. Also, they always want to deal with you completely via email, this guy gave me a local phone number and invited me to text him. I'm not hip to all the latest scam details, the number could potentially re-route the text to Nigeria, but I kinda doubt it.

Anyway, I got home last night, had a couple glasses of wine and was feeling a little snarky, here's my response to him, maybe I should have taken the high road and just not responded, but I felt like having a little fun:

Ian,

It's super cute that you wanna make an offer without seeing or hearing this rig in person, but 60% of my asking price is not what I would call a "reasonable offer".

That sucks real hard about gas prices going up, I'm feeling it too, still, I can't see gas prices affecting the used bass amp market that significantly.

As for your other reasons as to why I should sell this for 60% its value:

Summer: Yes summer can be a bitch, but it happens every year. In actuality, more bands have more gigs during the summer, so if anything, that should drive the price of musical gear up (due to the higher necessity for said gear), right?

The Recession: Yeah, that's been hard on me as well, however, the recession has been in more or less full effect since 2008 or 9... Hardly justification for a 2012 lowball isn't it?

Unemployment: Another screwed up situation. That being said, I really wouldn't feel right selling my amp to an unemployed person that was worried about being able to afford it. unless they had good paying gigs lined up, that money is better spent on top ramen and liquor. I'm employed, chances are you're employed too! so I don't see the relevance in bringing up the number of unemployed people. If you aren't employed, see my comment earlier in this paragraph.

Thanks for your interest though!

P.S. Vehicles are actually not going for 60% below blue book (If Kelley Blue Book is what you're referring to), that value is actually continually adjusted based on current used market conditions...

16. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    This. Haven't you guys figured this out by now? Don't respond.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You've already wasted too much time on this offer. Ignore it. Move on.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd say yes and have him meet you at a gas station or something, except you go across the street and wait and watch the guy.

A friend of mine owns a video game store, so sometimes when we get bored we cruise kijiji, any time we find people being greedy, like 1 kid who wanted $120 for mario kart wii saying it was the only one in town, when wal mart had over 80 copies in stock. So we told him we would take it, and to meet us at the gas station across the street, that guy waited for like 45 minutes for us to show up... we laughed pretty good. Screw greedy people.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't think it deserves a response.

20. That sounds funny, but requires some SERIOUS time on your hands