Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How would you run these cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Dec 23, 2004.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Ok so here is what I have to work with:

GK 800RB: 100 watt amp with 1 output (8 ohm minimum)
    300 watt amp with 2 outputs (8 ohms each, 4 ohm total minimum)

2 x Aguilar GS112: 300 watts @ 8 ohms

So my question is, how would you hook these up? Is there any real advantage of running them in series vs parallel? I guess the thing that really messes me up is the "4 ohm total minimum" for the two out puts of the 300watt section of my head.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sean

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Put each cab in one output. Or put one cab in one output and daisy chain the second cab from the first. Either way, youll get 300W @ 4ohms.

Im worried why you give two rating though. if the 100W rating is for the GK's high amp (something like that) then it wont work with your Aggie cabs.

3. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Here is some info, taken from the 800RB's manual:

The "Low-Amp" puts out:
    8 ohms - 200 watts
    4 ohms - 300 watts

So this tells me i should run the cabs in parallel from the 300 watt amp in order to get the full 300 watts. Is this correct?

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes. :D

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I don't really understand haow to use it on the 800RB, but most GK heads have bi-amp ability. The 100w amp is for highs, the 300w amp is for lows. Maybe early GK cabs had seperate inputs for highs and lows? If you are really adventurous, you could probably modify your Aggies so that the woofers and tweeters are on separate inputs, and then run the amp to the corresponding jacks. I don't know if this would mess with the impedance (I imagine it would), but if you want a bi-amp sound, that's one way to go about it. Otherwise, just use the 300w output, and you'll be good to go.

P.S.- I owned an SWR Triad that I ran with a GK700RB... I modified the cab to accept the bi-amp signal. It was pretty easy, and slightly improved the sound, but it wasn't a HUGE difference.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just plug the two cabs into the outlets of the 300 watt 4 ohm output. I hate those stupid bi amp GK heads.

read this