1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How would you setup my basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lefty Geek, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    My main style of music is college (alternative,indie,whatever-its-called-nowadays) rock. Bands like Superchunk, Replacements, Pixies, etc... Also played in some '60s garage/rock/pop type bands. I switched over from guitar a couple of years ago, and so far I like the low end. Another band I am starting now has its roots in '80s hardcore/NYHC, stuff like Cro Mags, Agnostic Front, although I wish it were slower stuff like the Jesus Lizard.

The first bass I purchased was a MIM Jazz bass with flat strings. Being my first bass, I didn't know what to expect, but I never cared for the sound. I think the main problem was I was using a pick with flat strings, so I never got any bite. Did some research, and it seems like P-basses are more common in rock. I could have switched strings, but instead...

I got a P-bass. A G&L LB-100 to be exact. Now I got the sound I was looking for. Up-front, cutting through, all that good stuff. Been playing it for over two years. Gigged out with it, recorded a few songs, never failed me. I liked the minimal controls. But the neck has been getting to me. Too wide for my tastes, especially coming from the guitar world. Sometimes I play roots really low (like in G), and my fingers ache after a bit. So ...

I got a Rickenbacker! Played it yesterday for the first time, and the neck was perfect. Don't know what strings it had on, but my fingers were gliding all over the neck. So much fun to play. You can hear and feel the difference when switching the pickups, unlike the Jazz bass. The output of the 4001 is much lower than the G&L, so I might have to play around with things more.

Now I am up to three basses, but I really only want to keep two. The alternative rock stuff is in E, while the hardcore will be in Eb, but I have no problems tuning up/down between bands. Learning to play more with my fingers, but I really love the quarter note thump with a pick. I haven't played the Jazz bass ever since I got my G&L over two years ago. I heard flats sound good on a P-bass, so I am thinking about switching strings between the Fender and G&L, and then selling the Fender. What would you do?

P.S. I am also open to exploring other basses which might fit me, just keep in mind I am a lefty.

2. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    what was the time frame of this bass binge?

what you could try and do is put the neck from the jazz onto the G&L (I dunno if this will fit btw). Experiment with the strings.

3. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    No time frame. My biggest concern is room in my apartment.

The neck pocket is different between the G&L and Fender. My main issue with experimenting is that I don't have time. I would love to come to rehearsal and try out X, Y and Z, but when you are paying hourly and only have two hours, I would hate to waste time.

I am also hoping to play (even if it is only at home) more styles of music, especially soul.

4. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    no no, what I mean is, how long did it take you to buy all three basses and decide that you disliked each one, in some way.

can you not try out the different strings at home, like, by changing them there.

5. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    If it was me, I would keep the 4001 and the LB-100. You said you're interested in multiple bands of different genres, and for that, owning a P and Ric would be better than a Ric and Jazz.

That is of course I read your post correctly and you like the Ric more than the Jazz.

And flats on a P will definitely add more thump, I would try it.

6. +1
    Very true.
    The jazz bass has a very mellow, smooth groove to it, hence Jazz bass (I know it can be used for metal, I am just generalizing.) The music you describe would best suit the Ric and the P bass.

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    sell the jazz since you've stopped playing it, get a new set of flats for the G&L.

8. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Thanks everyone.

Gotcha. I played the Jazz bass for a couple of months before getting the G&L. Played the G&L for over two years before getting the Rickenbacker this week. When I say "played", I mean that I am basically a weekend warrior: rehearse a few times a month, gig every so often.

I'm a busy guy, I barely play at home, so I don't want to dedicate my free time to swapping pickups and different strings. Yes, I will try rounds on the J and flats on the P.

I haven't played the Jazz in over two years, I will definitely give it another whirl.

Can I just use the flats that are on the Fender? I thought flats get better with age.

9. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    You are correct.

Only get new ones if you can't use the old ones. Or if for some reason you hate them/have some sort of brand loyalty.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I never had my basses properly "set up" since teh day I got them... i only set the intonation myself...

then I had a new bass profesionally "Set Up" and lets just say, im taking all my basses to get a proper set up...