1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How would you shim an asymetrically rounded neck ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pfschim, Dec 9, 2006.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have a '97 Turner Ren 4 string fretless which I posted about recently. Sounds good, but the action is too high above about the 10th fret.

On advice from the Turner folks , I sanded down the bridge saddle about 1 mm. This helped but did not fully address the problem. I'm about as far down on the saddle as I can go before I will get FB buzz on the 1st -3rd frets.

Other threads/posters have suggested shimming the neck pocket a small amount. I'd say that if I could get another ~1mm on the neck angle by shiming I'd be set.

BUT ... the Renaissance has a asymmetrically curved neck and related neck pocket.

How do I address this shim situation ?? :help:

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Paul

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Believe it or not. lowering the bridge saddle and shimming the neck ( at the body end) both achieve exactly the same thing, reducing the angle between the strings and fingerboard.
    So before doing anything else, check and measure your neck relief

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Cut up some pieces of coarse sandpaper and they will bend with the curvature of the neck but also provide some thickness. There are a few other thinks that would work too.

Joe