How would you spend a $100??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Aug 13, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ok, I got a $100 loaded MasterCard as a gift. I want to buy a pedal. Or 2 pedals with a little added cash on top of the card. Here are the ones I was thinking of:

Behringer echo machine
    MXR micro amp
    Digitech bass synth wah
    TC repeater

Ok, for delay I already use an old DOD digital delay, which I love, and a hardwire delay/looper. Do any of you think the behringer is a good delay pedal or should I not even waste my time with it? I know, it's behringer. But the echo machine looks pretty sweet. In my situation, would you buy the echo machine?

The MXR micro amp is a pedal I've wanted for a long time. But I have an ehx LPB1 already. How does the lpb1 stack up to the micro amp? Should I not bother replacing the ehx the the MXR?

The DT BSW just looks and sounds fun as hell. And I could actually use it in the band I'm in right now. I always see a lot of guys on TB use it. I was thinking of getting the BSW and the echo machine.

The TC repeater always just looked sweet to me. I've heard good things about. But I'd have to spend an extra $50 out of pocket.

The reason I put this up was to get your guys' opinions. I know, I'm not asking any of you to spend my money for me. All I'm asking is what you guys would do with the options put in front of you. So if you have an opinion on what you would do, put it forward please. I'm just having trouble picking one or possibly two because I have most this ground covered so I'd possibly replacing something. I'd just like ideas from my TB friends. Thanks all!!

2. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    If I had a Hundsky, I would get a Zoom MS-60b (if i didn't already have one!). Great all-in-one pedal!

J!

3. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I'd pass on the Micro Amp, it's just a clean boost, as I'm sure you know, for bass it's completely boring.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Echo Machine sounds pretty good, quite close to Echo Park, but in that case I'd rather go Echo Park (tap tempo). But I guess you already know my opinion on the delay - Repeater all the way.

I wouldn't take the booster, I just slightly boost my volume with my VMT to get a desired signal strength and use dynamics for louder/quieter. And yea, clean boost is boring. Phat Phuk it is not :)

I had synth wah and it's great for longer filter sweeps, but I use 105Q for that now in conjuction with my fuzz and/or oc-2. That's its biggest strength IMO, synthy long sweeps (sounds good before dirt). Envelope filter is on the weak side so I stopped using it quickly. Octaver is ok, even tracks well, but nowhere near the character of oc-2. The rest is pretty gimicky and useless (unless you're playing Daft Punk with that cheesy vowel filter setting :D ) So it has a rather limited real world use.

Sooo, Repeater gets my vote ;)
    In fact, I'd sell one of your delays and take Repeater. If you don't need delay, take the BSW and play around with it. It's a fun pedal until you get tired of it.

5. I'd probably look for a CS-9 chorus as that's what Im gassing for. Among your options, I'd stab myself in the eyes before buying Behringer...
    BSW is another unit I need to try. I have several bitchen delays, so the repeater would need to kill to replace something.
    Vague, I know. It's the beers deciding..:)

6. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Another vote here for the MS-60B. The echos and delays will sound better than the Behringer IMO..... plus the other 50 or so effects.

You owe it to yourself to check it out!

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm pretty sure he's already got MS-60B.

Sounds like you wanna buy a pedal without actually needing one :D

Sell both your delays and just get a Repeater. Then get a Godlyke ISO Pump so you can power it at 12V with a 1Spot (if that's what you're using)

8. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    well heres my two cents

the behringer echo machine sounds very lofi. on all setting that being said if your looking for that it actually works pretty well. i have one myself the i still use from time to time but i honestly prefer my boss space echo.

The MXR micro amp i have owned and has been the only pedal i have ever sold. that being said i don't like the sound of most mxr stuff so yeah one mans opinion its just not my thing. though i have heard some good uses of it.

the BSW well its fun but it has some issues that i will address even with the fact that i have one and i use one. honestly the biggest problem i have is a lack of volume control which makes this hard to use live. i mainly use mine as an octaver now because it does that really well. every once in a while i use the filter but. its just lack of control that causes the problems.

i have no experience with the repeater but i like what i have heard.

so out of what you have said i would go for the BSW and the echo machine. i don't know what kind of music you play though. but if we are not just counting what you mentioned i would definitely got for a Zoom MS-70CDR

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

If you're looking for a delay pedal, check out the Marshall Echohead also: hi-fi, analogue, tape and 3 other modes, very tweakable and sounds great on bass. Don't see them often on boards, so it's a bit of a sleeper. Around 110 $ new.

I have a LPB-1 that I now use for acoustic guitar. I've also used my brother''s Micro Amp and to my ears, the LPB-1 did just fine and even added a little warmth, so not really sure you're going to see the extra $ bringing much more.

If needed, I would bring back both pedals on my bass board without any worries. I just don't have any use for them currently.

I've had a BSW for 4 years and sold it last week. Fun pedal, versatile and there are good sounds in it: octave, fuzz, filter, filter and octave together plus a load of wackier stuff. The only effect I ended using in the band was the octave effect.

10. Ten minutes in a strip joint.

11. A big +1 - mine is the best $100 I've ever spent on music gear.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well I'm getting some great feedback, I appreciate it all to those who have commented so far. I do in fact have an ms60b already, great little pedal. I chose these pedals because they were more inexpensive than most and they've all caught my eye. With that being said, I'm out to replace a pedal or two on my board and I don't think I'll go with the micro amp. The lpb1 is cool with me after some of the things I'm hearing. I'm sure it serves it's purpose but it doesn't sound like it would be a huge improvement to the MXR. The BSW sounds fun. But that's the thing, I think it'll be fun to a point but I think, I have a wah, I have an octave, I have OD and dirt pedals. I even have an auto wah but I'm not using it. So I don't think I'll go that way. Sorry, can't remember who it was, but they brought up the zoom chorus. I totally forgot about that one. I'm starting to seriously consider that one........ The repeater looks sweet but after more consideration, I don't know if I can afford the extra $60 to ship it right now.

13. I'd stock up on strings.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Has anyone here heard anything or used the Zoom MS-70CDR yet? Im really swaying that way. I do need a chorus pedal........ I do have my doubts about the Zoom chorus, Im wondering if its good on bass. But then a lot of the effects that are in the Zoom can go both ways to guitar or bass most times. I dont really see how I could go wrong with it. Does anyone have this out there and can they comment on it? Or know of someone who has it and got their opinion of it?

I'd stock up on strings.

Ive spent a lot of money on strings the last 4 months to find the one to settle on. Probably stick with a pedal purchase.

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Also, is the Line 6 Echo Park really that much of a tone sucker??

16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    With the trails off it's passable. With the trails on it's horrendous. The pedal does change your tone (sucks a bit of mids out) when you engage it and I definitely felt certain lack of dynamics. It's not a bad pedal for long lo fi tape tones, but I found it to be a bit lackluster for bass purposes. Repeats are very often buried in the band setting.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ok, now Im looking at the marshal echohead. Anyone have an opinion on that one??

It seems as though I really want a delay. I love delay pedals. I have two already, I am getting the DOD repaired/rehoused and etched in the future, but I want something that is going to compliment it. The hardwire does a good job. But I want to try others. I can wait on a chorus pedal.

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks for the input mouth, I appreciate it.

19. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    No problem bro, I haven't tried echohead but I've heard good things about it.

20. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I would pass on ALL the pedals and buy 5 sets of strings.......much more usable.... :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021