1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Would Your Life Look - If You Never Picked Up The Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WhyIsPBassBest, Nov 9, 2019.

1. WhyIsPBassBest

WhyIsPBassBest

Nov 8, 2019
    BC
    Maybe I’d have a girlfriend? :p

What do the members of Talkbass believe they would be doing if we never started playing bass? What would your life be like?

When I first picked up the bass nearly 10 years ago, I was inspired by a video of a funky slap playing street performer that I saw on YouTube. I was still in high school back then, and my perceptions on the instrument were just like any other person’s when you’re young and uninitiated. I basically thought it was a bigger guitar, and looking back on those times, it still stumps me what exactly it was that made me follow through with the decision to take up “big guitar”. I remember even telling my parents that I wanted to play bass, and they would ask me if I was sure that I didn’t want to learn guitar instead.
    Before this I had played classical piano for several years with the “Royal Conservatory of Music,” but being a pre-teen when I was learning it, I was very uninspired. I do remember thinking to myself that I loved playing music, but that maybe classical wasn’t the style/piano wasn’t the instrument that I wanted to play.

In hindsight I think picking up the bass was one of the best and biggest decisions of my (admittedly still young) life. I love playing with others or even just practicing alone, and it feels positive to have something like a hobby in your life to latch onto and put time into in exchange for results.

So today I started wondering what I would have latched onto in my life if not for bass.
    Probably some other hobby, as I am a pretty hobby-driven person.
    I’m curious to hear others’ stories on this topic.
    I know that for some here, playing bass is a full-time job. It would be interesting to hear how these users’ lives would have been different had they not started playing.
    Also interested in any response, any take on this topic is cool!
    Just for fun, I hope this is allowed and belongs in “miscellaneous.”
    By the way, first post here! But I’ve been lurking for a while so I feel like I’m halfway experienced XD

2. I'd either be highly successful or a total bum.

Kokoman, SactoBass, joebar and 9 others like this.
  3. TylerJ

TylerJ Trying to find the elusive Brown Note Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    I'd have more time to actually focus on my writing instead of goofing off and playing bass.

This isn't a bad thing!

It's just that the time I spend playing bass could be spent working on my books.

I'd probably have more than three done (and maybe at least one published) if I hadn't picked up bass when I was 17.

JC Nelson and WhyIsPBassBest like this.
  4. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I met some of the best people I'll ever meet because I play bass. I've made new friends and family. I've been able to make a little money doing it, too. It's opened up a lot of different opportunities for other musical endeavors. I don't think there's an alternate universe where I DONT play bass.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Crankupthebass, JimK, Rezdog and 9 others like this.
  5. Same problems and one less thing to enjoy.

John M Ewers, TH63, JimK and 8 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'd probably be playing keys.

Humbled and WhyIsPBassBest like this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    no one.

Gunga Din, JimK, dr doofie and 17 others like this.
  8. The answer I'd give would not be what most would want to hear.

In short, I became Don Quixote. And the windmills won.

My mistake was I tried to take something so elementally pleasing to me I'd gladly do it for free, and tried to make a business or career out of it, and I flat just didn't know how to do it properly, and never got any real breaks. But I sure beat my head soft trying . . . . I gave it my best shot, and it just never worked out for me. And I can live with that. I far prefer getting struck out at the plate to sitting in the stands and wondering 'what if?'

While I avoided most of the occupational hazards of being a musician (i.e., I never had substance abuse problems), my life outside of music prevented me from having the time, patience, and dedication it would have taken to enjoy it far more than I did. Also, I'm not the most outgoing person, so my 'hang' was seriously lacking (I'm utterly certain had I been a better drinker or toker I'd have had far more opportunities, no doubt about it) and I was too hard-headed about playing well or not at all: I could be a horse's ass when someone who I didn't respect musically tried to tell me what to play.

I stayed at the fair too long, and now it's behind me. I had my moments, but ultimately the itch went unscratched as I didn't know how to get there from here, or who to ride with, and I had a very difficult life outside of music. So I'd have to say I enjoyed it in spots, but ultimately wish I'd have approached it far differently or done something else altogether.

With this in mind, I often wonder if I have the bona fides to be spouting on TB, really . . . .

And honestly, in a lot of cases, from what I've seen of 'success in the music business', I often feel lucky I wasn't.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I would still be involved with Music in someway. Maybe as a record/music store manager or music writer. Maybe I would have gotten into studio engineer work or even artist management. Maybe radio career.
    I'd still be involved someway with music

10. I'd be a big success on Wall Street. After hours I'd seek out Jazz clubs, sit in the back to listen and maybe drink too much.

11. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I’d be Jeeping in Moab. Bass is cheaper even with all the GAS.

12. I would certainly have more money to spend on something else.... I am constantly looking at basses and gear

13. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Imagine my life without bass...?? :confused:

raw.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I.met my soul mate at a show. We now have two amazing children.

I don't even want to know what my life would look like if I had never picked up bass.... because the bass guitar pointed me down the road that got me where I am today.

John M Ewers, JimK, bebi and 9 others like this.
  15. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I'd be a much better golfer.

MegaSwing and WhyIsPBassBest like this.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I'd be a now retired professional athlete. I was always torn between sports and music. I played pro baseball for a season, came home and switched over to the softball scene and played tournament level softball for 15 years. I probably would have applied myself more in the sports field.

17. I would have read most of my Sci-Fi & Autobiography library by now.
    I still have many many Star Trek novels on my shelves waiting to be read.
    Just picked up two new books at Ollie's this week, 1 Walking Dead, & 1 Sons of Anarchy.

Ones I look forward to reading:
    Hugh Hefner - Mr. Playboy
    John Belushi - Samurai Widow
    Billy Crystal
    Rob Lowe
    John Lennon
    Tina Turner - I, Tina

There's also a Stephen Leather novel around here, about Thailand. I actually know the guy, so I kind of owe it to him to read his book after having him sign it for me, LOL!

These days when I have time to play bass or read, I'll take playing bass, because I like reading outside & it's too damn cold for that.
    Several months ago my thing was to read for hours at Taco Bell, but they changed up their menu & that was it for me!

18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

My life would be so utterly different, as to not be imaginable. There’s too much ‘butterfly effect’ potential, or like that Gwyneth Paltrow film, “Sliding Doors”, to make any sort of call.

19. I was on my way to buy a slug gun when a couple of pals sprung the "We're starting a band,you can play bass".
    Best not to dwell on "What ifs " :D

20. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Well for one, I never would have joined this wonderful forum if I had never picked up bass and you wouldn't be reading this response. :roflmao:

Gunga Din, SactoBass, bebi and 3 others like this.