Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How you clean your guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 20, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Which cleaning stuff you use to clean your bass guitar - body, neck, etc?

2. For neck and body

1. Vacuum cleaner
    2. A damp piece of old t-shirt which I spray some lemon oil on
    3. Dunlop 65 guitar polish

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Fretboard-

If there's any gunk buildup from extensive playing, I use a little 000/0000 steel wool lubricated with lemon oil, then I wipe the excess with a clean, dry lint free cloth. Go with the grain, and only work one fretspace at a time.
    If it just needs a cleaning, I use a clean cloth with some lemon oil.

Body-

If the body is painted, I use a mild detergent (handsoap) on a damp (NOT dripping wet-damp!) sponge to clean up any real mess, then I use Meguiars polish wax and shine it up like I would my car. I only use the polish every so often when it really needs it, and if I end up with some minor scratches, I use the Meguiars scratch and swirl remover before using the polish. Brings it up like brand new.

Neck-

For the back of the neck (we've already dealt with the fretboard), I use 2 different methods depending on what type of finish it has. If it's painted, I use the same method that I do with the body. If it's Tung oil finished, I usually use Murphy's Oil soap.

Tuning keys, bridge, knobs-

I use Windex on a cloth and shine them up that way. Works pretty well.

4. For the fretboard I use the Dunlop kit, and for the body I use the Fender kit. The knobs, control plate, and back of the neck get Windex. :smug:

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Depends...

Microfiber cloth for quickies..

For cleaning, I use a clean paper towel and rubbing alcohol to get grease and stuff off.

For general use, I use the Planet Waves guitar polish.

For my Rosewood fretboards, I use lemon oil for conditioning.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunlop 65.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Umm...I'll let you know when that happens.

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    If all else fails try rabbit piss. :D

9. Where can you get lemon oil?
    My rosewood fretboards have this weird white stuff in the grain, I think it might be from my hands. Will the steel wool/lemon oil get rid of that?

10. Lemon oil can be bought in any music store. It will clean your fretboard. I dip cotton buds in it and scrub. Wipe off excess oil after a few minutes with paper towels. I do not think you need to use steel wool.