1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How you draw lines on dark wood like wengue?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by octaedro7, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Graphite pencils are not really helpful.
    What do you use on these kind of woods?

Appreciated !

2. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Euh, white color pencil? (wit kleurpotlood)

3. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    A white coloured pencil will work just fine. :)

4. I use masking tape Gonzalo (I actually just cut out the Wenge headstock veneer like that), works for me. I put the tape on the Wenge, use a regular pencil over the tape and cut through the tape with a knife. Not sure if you are talking about veneer.. but could be useful anyway.

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Regular pencil will work fine, you just need to have your light at the right angle. :)
    But I have also used the white pencil too.
    Dirk

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I use white and neon green colored pencils, white pastel pencils or Masking tape when I want to control edge splintering.

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Get yourself a silver led pencile

8. Great guys, thanks all.
    I know that graphite has a reflection that when viewed at an angle makes the line visible on dark backgrounds but can be a bit annoying sometimes.
    Yeah, I thought of those colored pencils but... -this is going to sound cheap- I´m so, so, so beyond my build budget that I was hoping to stop buying stuff, even pencils. You know, it´s sort of a self imposition that I´m trying to fulfill.
    Masking tape is indeed a good solution (you know what I mean with exceeded budgets, don´t you Rob? :D)
    Again thank you all guys!

9. Well, tape isn't for free either ;).. but it also has the advantage of preventing edge splintering, like Musiclogic said.

10. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Yeah, i just use a regular lead pencil with a good, strong light source. Works for me.