How you identify which fret is causing fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maturanesa, Dec 12, 2017.

1. I got fret buzz on the G string in the lower part of the neck

Open string: just if i digging hard, sometimes buzz, sometimes dont. (nut height: if i press the fret 3 or 2 there is a very thin gap between the string and fret1, that seems ok?)--> not a big deal
    Fret 1: Buzz crearly (like an annoying "piiiiiiiiiiing")
    Fret 2: Buzz but less
    Fret 3: Still buzzes a bit
    Fret 4: Almost no buzz
    Fret 5: Finally free of buzzing

The other strings have the same action and no problem.
    G: 12fret 1,7mm
    D: 12 fret 1,5mm
    A: 12 fret 1,5mm
    E: 12 fret, 2mm
    B: 12 fret 2,2 mm
    Nut action: all the same.

It seems its one the lower fret at that point where the G string passes throug..

thanx!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I use a credit card.
    Use it as a rocker over three frets at a time, right where the string will touch the frets.
    If you're over three frets & the card can rock back & forth, the center fret is high.
    Just to be clear, I mean use the edge of the card...

maturanesa and sissy kathy like this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    High or lose 5th fret.
    When the buzzing stops you are at the high fret, check that with a fret rocker as KBD says. Next determine if the fret is seated properly and seat it if necessary. Finally if the fret is properly seated and the buzzing persists, pull out your grinder (DON'T DO THAT); seriously it's time to dress that portion of that fret.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    maturanesa and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Use technology. Rig up a tester that's fast-response LED in a box with two leads. One lead has a clip which you attach to a string at the headstock. The other has a probe that you can touch to each suspect fret. Get someone to play notes up and down the string while you apply the probe to each fret in question. When the LED flickers you have found the fret that is buzzing.

I've actually done this. It's a gimmick I have used to impress a customer or two. The better way to test is with a fret rocker as described. But there is less theatre in that approach.

sissy kathy and maturanesa like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021