1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Howard Core new Chinese import

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by wpatton11, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wpatton11

wpatton11

Jan 6, 2008
    Hey, does anyone have any info on these Howard Core Chinese import DBs - - carved top, retail for about $5,900 - supposedly as a foil to their line of German import, the 'Roma' bass? Thinking of upgrading from my old Epiphone bass, and I'd heard about these. Any info most welcomed.

2. I have a Roma all plywood. I was told it was made in Eastern Europe. I got it from Bassesonline about 10 years ago when that guy was liquidating his parents import business. $700 plus freight plus a fingerboard planing and set up once I got it to Alabama. So I got around a grand in it.
    It sounds ok, if a bit stiff, good as any new Engleheart Ply, and it has an ebony board and tailpiece and the thicker classical neck. It speaks best with steel vs synthetic or gut strings. Like I said kinda "tight" takes a higher tension to really get er vibrating. Tho it has improved a bit w age.
    Anything you get from Howard Core is most likely good quality in my experience. I used to live in the same town and got my bits and pieces from them.

wpatton11 likes this.
  3. I still get bits and pieces from them, living about 30 miles away. Howard personally I believe is slowly phasing himself out of the business (age), but it still strikes me as being a pretty tight ship. I believe someone in HC management makes several trips a year to China to maintain quality control.