1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Howard Feed-N-Wax - Questions (Oil Finishes)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray69, Jun 14, 2007.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi all,

I just recently bought a Cort Artisan A5 bass with a really nice looking oil finish - I've only owned 1 other oil-finished bass in the past, so I've not had a lot of experience with products used to maintain this type of finish. I've heard a few TB'ers talking about Howard Feed-N-Wax. Is this a product denoted specifically for fretboards only? Is it safe to apply on an oil-based finish? Any insight would be greatly appreciated from those in the know...

Basically, I'm looking for a product to help provide a thin layer of extra protection (in addition to the oil-finish) to avoid or at least slow down the inevitable "shiny" spots that typically appear on the bottom side of the pickups and other high-contact areas on the bass.

A pic of the bass/finish:

CortArtisanA5-Full-1.jpg
    CortFront1.jpg

2. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I use my Howard feed n wax for my two warwick basses. I apply it to the body and I smell the goodness. :smug: Works really good. I've never put it on my fretboard though.

3. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank You for the info...

Do Warwicks have any kind of finish on them at all? I've not seen many, but the few I have seen appeared to be an unfinished, natural wood, with no finish at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that...and if that is the case, I can see where a product like this would be wonderful on that type of non-finished wood...I'm just worried about causing a possible chemical breakdown of the oil finish I intend to use this stuff on. I've e-mailed the product manufacturer's tech support, but its only been a day - perhaps they can clarify what exactly is safe or not with this product. Sounds like a great product though.

4. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Eric Howard of Howard Products responded to my e-mail the very next day! He assured me that the Feed-N-Wax product is indeed safe for oil-based finishes. He says he uses the Feed-N-Wax product on his guitar fretboards as well. So it looks like I'll be using this as both a body & fingerboard treatment. I'll follow up once the product arrives & I've had a chance to give it a try. The product should be here tomorrow or the next day...

5. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Howards Feed and Wax rules! I use it on all my natural finished basses. I've used it on fingerboards and the backs of my Musicman necks (Tru-Oil + HF&W = yum).

I love the smell of it too. :)

6. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I use to order it online...I saw some howard feed n wax at home depot. Either way...it will work on natural and oil based. And works good. :smug:

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    We use it on our non-maple fingerboards... it's very nice.

8. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    is the Howard wax better than the Warwick wax I got with my Corvette???

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    'Yall got me. I had to go into HomeDepot over lunch anyway to get an overpay balance on a kitchen over-haul we did, and I've been looking for something to use on my Schecter Studio 5... so I picked up some of this to try.

We'll see how it goes.

(BTW... love the looks of the Cort Artisan A5. I've been eye-balling the Red stained ones, but your gray one is very nice looking also.)

10. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Howard's feed and wax is WAY cheaper and easier to use. Here's a link to the product:
    http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

11. Howard's is great over oil. On the basses I build I use Danish oil and then Howard's and it seems like the more times the better it looks, also polishing works well too. The smell is great too.
    And really the cost is very low considering.
    Dirk

12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Thank You - yeah, I'm lovin' the Cort. Incredible value-to-cost ratio IMO. Playability & tone are up there with anything I've ever owned/played, nice electronics package. I've received the Feed-N-Wax, but not had a chance to apply any just yet. I'll post back a little later. I'm thinking it should be a wonderful product to use not only on just the fretboard, but as a general all-over type of product. :) And hey, if it's good enough for Carey Nordstrand, it's good enough for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Awesome - good to know! I'll give it time to try a few coats and see what it looks like. :)

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    First coat on my Studio 5 last night and I'm happy with it. Goes on nice and I noticed both my mohogany and bubinga seemed to be soaking it up quite nicely.

After one coat I noticed a slight improvement in the grain and color. Not much of a shine change, but I expect that will come somewhat with continued use.

15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've put 2-3 coats on over the last couple of days - the depth of the wood grain is really enhanced very well by this product. And as others stated - the orange oils in it really smell nice. :) I can tell already that the product keeps the fingerboard moisturized & dark looking much longer than anything else I've tried in the past. Highly recommended. :cool:

Thanks for the Home Depot contact - I wouldn't have thought they would carry such a thing. I'll check my local one next time I'm out.

16. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    ;) Yeah, I used to order online for some antique furniture, and used it on my bass and :eek: nice. Then months ago while cruising through the isles of HomeDepot...well what do you know...Howard Feed N Wax :)

17. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Used it since getting my first Warwick Corvette with the bubinga body. I use the the Warwick wax on the back of the neck and Guitar Honey on the fretboard. The Howards may smell nice but contains petroleum distilates. Don't inhale too deeply!!!:eyebrow: :p

18. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    here's a thread from the dead!

Does anyone think that Birchwood Casey Gun Stock wax will work on a Warwick?
    I've got some for my EBMM SR5, and rather then buy more stuff.....will it work the same as howard's feed n wax?

19. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Should be fine. Might be better actually. That stuff is intended for handling and will probably last longer and hold up better over time.

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Won't smell as nice though. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021