Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Howard K's latest recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK then, 'ere we go. Four tracks of with me on 'em:

They're all hosted on this one page, courtesy of my friend Woodie...

There's two bands, four tracks...

Bidgie Reef & The Gas my favourite band. Two tracks from our latest single/EP

BlackSeaFire - this is my longest running band and a seriously professional quality recording. Two tracks from our latest studio session.

I'd REALLY appreciate some feedback, so please get listenin'

Oh and by the way, they're chunky mp3 files because I didnt want the quality to suffer. If you dont have time to wait for more than one track I'd say go for Bidgie Reef tracks: Bidgification or Drive :)

http://www.puzle.co.uk/howards_music

If anyone's intersted in the details of the recording, studios, gear used etc.. I can talk for hours ;)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah.

I love the first track from bidgie reef. (bidgiefication)Awesome groove, funny ass lyrics. I love that keyboardy james brown funkiness in the back. the chorus is kind of like an awesome level 42 song that you can't get out of your head. :D

what is that instrument that is getting those awesome funky tight chords in the verse? I mean, I know it' sa keyboard, but like, what type of keyboarD? what patch? settings..etc. I hear that sound a lot in funky stuff, but I have never really found out how to make it.

I'm not so fond of the first blackseafire track, it is a good production, just not my thang.

Drive is pretty neat, it reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger of it, it's neat though, very haunting, tense, but it still grooves nicely, nice blend.

Man isn't really my thing either, but again, stellar production, I'm not too fond of the singer's voice, it kind of sounds like he is trying to do something he can't...I don't know :meh:

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with both these bands, and that ain't not bad :)

keep up the good work!

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Likewise really.. but they're a sound bunch of guys and get some good opportunities, like the the recording of these tracks.

Unfortunatley I think you're probably right. We VERY rarely rehearse as a band. I.e. we didnt have any before recording this, so as a singer he rarely gets a chance to really test the water and it does show unfortunatley. We also keep urging him to sing - like really sing, but I think he's holding back somehow. A real shame because I think he can actually sing when he sings... if that makes sense?

The keys part is a real old Technics keyboard of some kind, the verse part is a Clav (of sorts!) and I'll find out what the other sound is and let you know. Nice though aint it, cheesey and obvious, but nice!

Intersting you should say that. The part of the song before it 'kicks in' to the instrumental ending is their groove - i.e. what they wanted the bass to do, after it kicks in is my groove. It's very clear now that my groove works best and I'm now p!ssed I didnt do that for the whole song, but I crumbled under the pressure of being in a new band. Foolish!

thanks for liestning :)

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    howdy H;
    diggin' the production on the latest BSF. Much better than the last version. I can finally hear you! BSF sounds a little slower and funkier. Me likey.
    Thanks for the update.
    Hope you have much success!

You ever get a chance to decide if you hate my new band yet or not? :)

5. Howard, really digging your playing and tone on Bidgification. What gear were you using?

As for the song, its a very cool tune. Something I'd actually listen to (not just as a favor to another bassplayer). It's good to hear a groovin band, you and the drummer have some serious pocket.

Drive is different, haunting is a good way to describe it. Again, kudos on the tone and playing. Didn't DL the other band as of yet.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hey mark, cheers for listening :) I have to admit i didnt especially dig the latest cd you sent and I only got a few tracks in. I'll give it another go - it sounded spot on though - in recording and production. can hear everything clearly and in the right place!
    i'll give it another spin tonigh once i've finished learning about a zillion blues tracks for this gig i got in a week or so!

i reckon that sometimes when stuff is recorded properly it's easier to dislike it... maybe because you listen to it for the style rather than the recording, so if it doesnt meet the criteria what you'd usually listen to you can dismiss it easier. whereas if it's a dodgy recording, you listen more intently to the song or playing to see if it's any good or not. if that makes any sense.. well it's just a flaky theory?!!

I'll stick a cd of both in the post when they're both finished, BSF have 5 tracks that have just been mastered, i'll post 'em over as soon as i get a copy.

cheers mate
    H

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    cheers! i'm glad you dig it, that's very encouraging thank you :)

Right both songs are my US delux Fender P 5 string (active 9v EQ) with the treble rolled right off and the mid range and bass boosted about 3/4 - going straight to the desk. Unusual, but it worked at the time. The desk was a Fostex digital 8 track.
    The whold session (3 tracks) was recorded for free, live, in the one day.

The drummer on that recording is brilliant - a very talented musician, not just a "skin beater"!
    Re, the pocket, I'm rushing in places which is a shame, but since it was recorded live that is one take - we (I) decided it was good to leave as a "live feel" - a testiment to the moment if you will :D

Drive, hmm, the outro from when it kicks in I'm very happy with, however the start of the song is best if you listen to the lyrics, there are flaky moments. I'll do better next time :)

there's one more track i'll try to get online sometime soon... totally different again!

ta
    H

PS the other band is hard rock. not 100% sure about it myself?