Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Howard Stern on Sirius radio! Sirius?? SERIOUS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 6, 2004.

1. This is awesome. I get to listen every morning on the way to work because Stern is syndicated on a local station. Now I will just bring my Sirius radio into work and listen. Now there will be no commercials and no FCC!!!!!

Another good thing is that if you have subscription, you can listen online at the Sirius website. You just have to get a password.

2. Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about this. I almost picked up an XM reciever last week...glad I waited.

:bassist:

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +3

I'm VERY pumped...

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love my Sirius radio. Definitely recommend them.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's awsome.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's where he belongs.
    Is his show still 'good'...it's been years for me.
    And I can't watch him on E! with all the fuzzing out!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Me, too. I used to listen in a carpool about 6 years ago. He was just barely still funny then. I still listen but just for a few minutes when I'm getting the dog ready in the morning. Stern is the dog radio in my house when I'm at work because it's on the best reception talk station.

My prediction: While the self-appointed "king of all media" helps make sattelite radio successful for a few years, his actual listenership drops dramatically.

Two problems with this scenario:

(1) About 80% of his show is whining and complaining about the FCC and his employers. What's he going to whine about?

(2) At least 20 minutes of each hour is commercials. Doing a radio show like that is strenuous, you need breaks in order to get "set-up" for the next gag, drink water, go to the bathroom, etc. etc. Are Sirius subscribers who have been trained to be whiners by the example Stern going to put up with the breaks?

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Stern 5 year contract starts in 2006.
    That means the washed-up old has-been will
    be around until 2011.

It was funny when Howard was a younger man.
    Now it's become "dirty old man" syndrome.

Move over geezer.
    You've had your run.
    Make room for some new talent.

11. as soon as there's some consistently funny new talent that is.

12. He talks a bout the FCC alot now, but he did not for years, and his mention of them has been going down (at least in the hour or so I listen to him in the mornings). I think that the statement 80% of his show is about the FCC is hogwash. More like 10-20%, if that much. I haven't heard him go on a good rant in several weeks. Again, I only listen 1-2 hours in the morning, so I could be missing some of that. The whining about the FCC in my opinion is perfectly legitimate. I do not need the government telling me what I can and cannot listen too. My view of the new show will be something like that before the FCC starting cracking down after the Super Bowl last year. He will talk about the same things that he always has.

He does have some long commercials, and this could pose some problems. But these don't seem to be dealbreakers. I am sure they will find a way to live through it. If it is one thing that Howard is pretty good at, its spontaneity.

His audience will drop, no doubt. He reaches about 12 million a day now and there are only about 500,000 Sirius subscibers total right now. I heard that they will have to add a million subscribers before 2006 just to pay for Howard's contract. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

13. Been there, bought that :D

14. :D

went up 18% in the first day.

15. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    "Who's High Pitch?"

I still find Stern very entertaining and I will definitely be jumping on the Sirius bandwagon.

Tom

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ewwww, can you imagine....

WHEEEL...
    OF...
    HIGH PITCH....

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I miss Dee Snider Radio..............

But the stern thing should be interesting to see how it pans out. The FCC is definitely way OOC. Ditto with the Govt sponsored Radio/TV monopolies.

18. On Sunday nights on Rock 103 in Memphis they used to have a Dee Snider segment called "House of Hair". I'm not sure if its still on the air or not. It was all 80's hair bands. Even though that decade (for rock) seem to lack soul and be devoid of anything I feel that is musically significant, I could not make myself turn the channel when I listened.

:bassist:

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    house of hair was a totally different animal - a cool show, but not the same as his morning show by far.
    his show was the best morning show i've ever heard. it was quite surprising how intelligent and articulate Dee is. The humor was not as edgy as stern, but wasnt laid back either. Heck, they ate a human placenta on the air.